What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might overcook them with that method if they are thin. Reverse sear works best on thick cuts IMHO. I would hit them hard and fast for 2-3 mins a side that will give you a nice sear and just enough time on each side to have internal temp come up to 140~145F

Too much? LOL

45945755_2299248763631352_7969997792724647936_n.jpg

I would only do the flash sear. If you heat them to 140, then sear on 2'/side, those thin cuts will be way overcooked.

EDIT: I didn't see Mike's response when I wrote this. I agree with him.

Too much? LOL
Where's the beef?

FYI:

cor·pu·lent
/ˈkôrpyələnt/
adjective
adjective: corpulent
(of a person) fat.
synonyms: fat, obese, overweight, plump, portly, stout, chubby, paunchy, beer-bellied, heavy, bulky, chunky, well upholstered, well padded, well covered, meaty, fleshy, rotund, broad in the beam;
informaltubby, pudgy, beefy, porky, roly-poly, blubbery, corn-fed;
rareabdominous
"they provide ample seating for their corpulent clients"

Same flour you normally use or something different? Which yeast do you use? Now that the weather is getting cold the thought of heating up the oven sounds good once again! LOL
Same type flour, just not the same brand. I prefer the Robin Hood bread flour but all of a sudden can't seem to find it, so I'm now using King Arthur bread flour (still 12.5% protein min.). For the yeast I use a cheap instant bread flour yeast (without the bread flour cost) https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/48487. I store it in the fridge in small mason jars, use it for any yeast baking I do. The recipe calls for much less yeast than normal (1/2 tsp verses the normal 1 1/2 - 2 tsp), the idea is to develop flavor in the crust by a slow rise in the fridge, plus it won't get too puffy when you bake it on the pre-heated hot stone in the hot oven. Flavor is best between 24 and 72 hours of rise, after that supposedly the ferment will produce excess CO2 as it consumes components in the flour. The idea is to reduce the rise when baking to mimic a pizzeria type crust. I think it worked pretty well on this maiden voyage (tried it before without reading the directions to reduce the amount of yeast, it turned out poofy, though still good).

Today's cooking project is a continuation of a whole wheat bread that uses a seven grain porridge as a base. Got me some wheat gluten and various wheat flours to try it out. Porridge is cooling right now... Oh, and wine duties including a bottling, I hope. Got some more corks and some yeast/pectic enzyme for an apple wine experiment using cider that was flash pasteurized w/o Kmeta or Sorbate added (local from Musslemanns).

Any tips? I want to make sure they don't get too dry but want to cook them right.

I take pork chops to 140, then rest. Agree with Mike in that reverse sear is better for larger or thicker cuts. I'd go hot and fast with these to 140, then remove and rest before serving.

Yesterday we had to go somewhere and wife decided to leave the pork chops in the oven instead for a 3 hour cooking.
We got home and then she opened the pot to let them get some color. They came out great and tender inside.

I put together a rub from YouTube that calls for garlic powder, turmeric, cinnamon and brown sugar among others...

E0DB94EF-CF68-4FD3-927C-4FE9ED8FFFB7.jpg

Chuck-eye based chili again. Hard to say no to the Mrs when she puts on that puppy look and asks for chili.

Left over gumbo from last night, I threw everything in it(almost) except the sink.
Chicken, smoked sausage, my fresh green onion sausage, shrimp, smothered okra and a side of potato salad. The debate rages on about PS in the bowl or on the side but I like it in the bowl to mix with that broth. I topped it with file', my smoked ghost pepper salt and hot pickled mirlitons(chayote) and a splash of that hot vinegar.
100-3362.jpg

Yep, A5 grade which is the highest. Our local Smiths Marketplace has some "Wagyu" ribeye in the meat counter. $19.99lb but it doesn't look much different than "Prime" grade as far as the marbling maybe just a touch more.

You need to put that Costco employee discount of your wife's to good use!

https://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast,-A-5-Grade,-12-lbs.product.100311435.html

Was that wagyu?

I'm dying to try wagyu, I hear it is the best meat, but too expensive too??

Yep, A5 grade which is the highest. Our local Smiths Marketplace has some "Wagyu" ribeye in the meat counter. $19.99lb but it doesn't look much different than "Prime" grade as far as the marbling maybe just a touch more.

You need to put that Costco employee discount of your wife's to good use!

https://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast,-A-5-Grade,-12-lbs.product.100311435.html

Costco employees get nada, unfortunately....zip

I follow a guy on Youtube and he talks about Australian Wagyu, MSB7 specifically. I'm learning about wagyu now, so A5 seems Japanese?

$19.99/lb sounds like a steal then? I'm going to check it out for my upcoming bday. :)
I don't think they sell Wagyu at the Costco warehouses, seems like online is their only option.

Was that wagyu?

I'm dying to try wagyu, I hear it is the best meat, but too expensive too??

Our Wegman's carries it (don't think its A5, but it is really nice). NY Strip is $59/lb. For a couple years, several years back, I'd treat myself to one on my birthday and grill it up. Nice thing about it is it's so rich, that you don't need much.

Definitely not A5. Its not even from Japan at that price. Next time I am up in town I will ask the guy behind the counter to pull out a pack of uncut so I can look at it for a Label and scan it for a Country of Origin.

Here is an online store selling American Waygu (Idaho) and it is still an outrageous price.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/steaks/ribeye/traditional-ribeye.html

Our Wegman's carries it (don't think its A5, but it is really nice). NY Strip is $59/lb. For a couple years, several years back, I'd treat myself to one on my birthday and grill it up. Nice thing about it is it's so rich, that you don't need much.

Latest posts

Back