What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may have picked the beans early. They don't seem to be a yard long in that pic. :p

Last edited:
Today had a forecast of no rain for a change, so took a 1/2 day off of work (which means I left work around 10:15 am) to get the lawn done, spray some weeds with a new concoction (vinegar/salt/dish washing liquid) to test it out, and cook something that took more than 30 minutes on the grill. Had a boneless turkey breast that I was going to do this weekend, but our schedule is not conducive for a 4-5 hour cook on the grill. Started the grill up when I got home, did the lawn, sprayed some weeds and drank some beer. Planning to get some wasp spray and knock back the wasps that fancy the vinyl shudders on the front of the house this evening (makes sitting on the porch an adventure at times). Nice day off, though it was a bit hot (got up to 92*F, but it didn't rain!).

Snake method on the Weber kettle so I didn't have to worry about it too much. Had to get it done earlier than I expected so threw some extra lump charcoal on the right side to increase the temperature into the low 300's.

8-15-18_turkey-1.jpg

8-15-18_turkey-2.jpg

Two nights in a row for me, that's a record! Salmon, brussel sprouts and tomato cucumber and radish salad. Coming up for the weekend, friends over and planning on Carnitas with home made corn tortillas. Mexican rice and refried beans from scratch and of course and great big pitcher of Sangria, putting a post it note on my forehead, pictures, pictures.......
Mike
Salmon.jpg

Last night was our anniversary. Kind of a tradition now to make our version of "Linguine ai Frutti di Mare" in order to use up a couple pounds of the cherry tomatoes in one shot. This guy has a little bit of everything in it. Clams, scallops, mussels and this year a couple of nice hunks of Chilean Sea Bass (Costco). Pretty awesome dish!

fullsizeoutput_48e2.jpeg

Two nights in a row for me, that's a record! Salmon, brussel sprouts and tomato cucumber and radish salad. Coming up for the weekend, friends over and planning on Carnitas with home made corn tortillas. Mexican rice and refried beans from scratch and of course and great big pitcher of Sangria, putting a post it note on my forehead, pictures, pictures.......
Mike

Looks fabulous, Mike!

Do they add any smoke/flavor on top of a propane grill? They look like they are charred pretty good!

Surprisingly yes. That was just before I pulled the ribs. The spirals add great smoke with the lid closed. Not as good as the wood grill, but it is Thursday and I didn’t have time for a four hour smoke. I paired it with my 2010 Sangiovese and a 2009 from Walla Walla. Theirs was better, mine is done.

Off today......... You know what that means. Yard work, weed whacking, weed pulling, poop scooping, patio detail, laundry detail, cat box detail, trash day.......

Decided to do a 2nd trial run with the Waygu hamburger meat, this time with just a regular New Mexico favorite....... Green Chile Cheeseburger.

All the trimmings. Air fryer tater tots on the side. Did not suck. Washed it down with a nice fitting bottle of "Toil" Oregon Rose' of Pinot Noir from the Figgin's winery. No complaints from anyone!

IMG_3485.JPG

Last edited:
This wasn't as fancy as Mike's burger above this post, but it really it the spot.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/steakhouse-burgers.html

I didn't use the garlic or green onion, GF bread for the panade, and used 80/20 beef that was on sale ($2.39 /lb). Cooked it over charcoal as I was talking to my oldest Son who happened to call home from Eglin AFB in Florida. Good cheddar cheese and some bacon on top. Served with some Silver Queen corn (I think, not overly sweet, but very corny) and some Dietz & Watson kosher dill pickles (they have a really fantastic flavor).

8-18-18_burger.jpg

Burger night here too. I called them "Peruvian Chile Burgers". My wife has fallen in love with the Peruvian Chicken and green sauce that we can get at Wegmans and just grill up. She's putting green sauce on everything. So I made up some patties w/ onion powder, Chile powder, cumin and S&P. Grilled them over charcoal, topped with "Salsa Jack" - a cheese I've never seen before but enjoyed quite a bit. Burgers got some green sauce on the bottom, along with chipotle mayo and mixed greens on top - good stuff!

Costco run today! 200 miles round trip for you right coasters who can't go 20 miles in one hour! LOL Found this ready to go "Sous Vide" Hickory smoked, sliced pork belly and was not going to pass it up. I know the whole deal is available at the meat counter for only $2.99lb but for $6lb ready to go I wanted to give this a shot. Will report back at a later date when we dig into it!

37831127_848247305563390_1626804208655138816_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back