What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Store bought Italian rolls stuffed with yummy (moo) goodness...

6-29-18_cheese-steak.jpg

Daughter had two impacted wisdom teeth extracted today, so not really worth making up the pizza pies. Plus I think the other kids needed a pizza break (finally!). Shredded ribeye with peppers, onions, shaker hot peppers (ran out of the good ones), lettuce and provolone cheese. I put some spicy A-1 on mine, breaking a nice sweat in the cool basement drinking a Blue. Yum!

Edit: I was hunting and gathering food for the weekend and came upon some beef ribs that looked like a rack of St Louis style pork ribs. Do you cook them the same way? I ended up buying some beef short ribs since I've cooked them before. The rack of ribs was way cheaper per lb than the short ribs. Do you get what you pay for in that instance? Any civil comments appreciated. They had several racks I could purchase tomorrow and they had a date that would last until Wednesday when I and most people have a day off.

Found this, some decent information: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/science-beef-ribs

Last edited:
If you can't beat the heat, use it to your advantage. Started the Weber bullet and kettle grill up. Ribs on the grill, 5 lb pork shoulder and some beef short ribs on the bullet smoker. Bullet holding between 265*F and 250, kettle averaging around 230*F. Will reheat the shoulder for pulled pork another night, having some ribs for dinner with corn, some salad and maybe a beer or three. Younger son says he never had short ribs, so giving him the option to try them out. Just wrapped the ribs up (3 hours unwrapped) to do a 3-2-1, also wrapped up the short ribs since they look pretty done and added some liquid to the foil. Shoulder was ballpark mustard'ed and rubbed with half basic bbq rub (Raichlen) and some Stubbs pork rub, short ribs with salt/pepper/olive oil overnight, ribs with some Stubbs pork rub and a little extra kosher salt. Yard smells great!

6-30-18_ribs-1.jpg

6-30-18_ribs-2.jpg

Looks great, Craig! :br
I think the beef short ribs will be overdone, oh well. I wrapped them so hopefully they'll hang out and be edible. I normally like a whole rack and not individual ribs. My only victory (in my mind) is that I used the Minion method on the Weber bullet and the snake or fuse method on the kettle grill and both are holding a steady temperature with little effort on my part. I think the warm temperatures help that out a bit.

FYI, I want to come visit you, I could eat lamb every night but no one else here will. Guess I'll have to buy a few shoulder chops and offer them along side of say some pork chops and let them sample it.

Made up a big batch of tomato sauce at the beach and filled it with clams, mussels and shrimp. None of the seafood survived that night, but we had a bunch of sauce left that I brought home. Reheating tonight with a fresh batch of shrimp from Wegmans.

I snagged a "Whoo Hoo" Tri Tip a few days ago. Decided to marinate in Italian dressing, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, and achiote paste for 24 hours. Cooked on the Weber over charcoal and pecan. Added some baked potatoes and our new favorite summer salad that I recreated and have to say..... nailed it! Paired it with a 2012 EFESTE Big Papa Cabernet Sauvignon that went down way to easily.

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3371.JPG

Looks awesome, @jgmann67 . I want to get a roti, but can't decide if I should do it for the gas grill or the charcoal grill.

Thanks! this is the third time I've used it (second try at a rotisserie chicken). The first time, I had an 11 lb. bird and it was waaaay too big. Even a couple of 6lb chickens were too big to keep the grill top in, I think the birds should really be no bigger than 4lbs each.

I also did a fireball pineapple that didn't quite work out the way I wanted. Will need to do that again.

Eat your weeds. I made Bai, a Chinese steamed bun. This was stuffed with a mix of purslane and red beets with garlic, ginger, onions, chili black bean and soy sauce.

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

Got home planning on doing a nice slow cook (followed by a final sear to crisp up the skin) of a whole chicken cut into pieces. Found out that I had 75 minutes to get the kettle grill going and some chicken cooking (daughters piano lesson at 6:30 pm - 20 minute drive to get there). Kosher salt and thickly ground pepper were the only spices. Got it over the coals to begin with, moved to a cooler spot and closed 'er up. Turned at 20 minutes. Checked the smallest breast at 40 minutes and it had hit 162*F, so pulled that for my wife. Left the larger breast, thighs and legs on until the thighs hit about 180*F. Served with corn on the cob and a side salad. Really love chicken over charcoal, no extra wood added the flavor definitely has some burnt wood essence in it.

7-2-18_chicken.jpg

This weeks meals include pulled pork tomorrow, a brisket flat on Wednesday (invited some neighbors over) and possibly a whole turkey breast on Thursday. Need to go get a couple more bags of cheap charcoal tomorrow before it reverts to normal post-holiday pricing.

Need to go get a couple more bags of cheap charcoal tomorrow before it reverts to normal post-holiday pricing.

Stock up while the getting is good! I usually replenish the supply w/ the Memorial Day sales, then top up around 7/4.

Back