What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to post up yesterday but we had a Spatchcock chicken and not one but two small Tri Tips on the K24 for fathers day dinner. One TT was marinated overnight in a citrus, garlic, EVOO, achiote marinade. and the other was just a rub. The marinade was like 2X as good IMHO. LOL

Dinner for the rest of the week!

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

@ibglowin and @ceeaton, Those are some outstanding looking Chickens. I constantly hear about chicken being bland or dry or boring but I think it's hard to beat a perfectly cooked bird, guess a lot of people don't take the time to do it right. 2 thumbs up guys!
I'd probably not turn down that pork or tri tip either.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I have been doing the spatchcock method every time for the last 3-4 cooks and love the way the bird is done quickly and evenly. Definitely some of the most moist birds I have ever cooked. 90 mins at 350 is all it takes.

Mike (@Kraffty) thanks for the encouragement! I cooked the sibling of that beer can bird the other day (come two to a bag) for last nights dinner, split it in half, rubbed with some olive oil and Italian seasoning, put it on the Weber kettle, inserted the temperature probe, then went to finish the lawn before it rained. The alarm went off and no one heard it (I was still doing the lawn). When I quickly removed it from the grill before resting it, it had hit 175*F in the breast (I aim for 160-165*F before a 20 minute rest). Was still really moist and tender. I think bigger pieces are more forgiving than the smaller ones.

I got a sous vide apparatus and a plastic tub recently. Was going to test it on a flank steak but they are not available where I am at. Got some one inch tbones for $6 pound so I experiment with those. Turned out very good.

Got my grilling fix in for today. Picked up a beef top round roast of pretty even thickness. Used the BJs lasagna pan with holes in it to deflect some of the heat to try for a more evenly done roast. Didn't marinate it very long, but boy it was tender. Took it to about 132*F before wrapping for 20 minutes. Cut up to what I think is medium, very juicy. Only complaint, if it was one, is that I used a little cherry wood in the charcoal snake in the Weber kettle. It was just a recognition on my son's part that I did add some wood (other than what was used to make the charcoal) while I was cooking it. It was a noticeable flavor note but not dominant. Served with corn on the cob and some spinach, yum! (and beer, I'm wined out)

6-24-18_beef-1.jpg
6-24-18_beef-2.jpg
6-24-18_beef-3.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have to do an easy meal. Rain is a comin' tomorrow, then a bit of heat for a week or three. Had to get the rest of the lawn cut, so I made up some meatballs for subs (did the lawn as they cooked in a bit of red sauce). Will use the leftovers for a spaghetti dinner in the near future if tomorrow or Thursday is a washout (though I do move the grill up onto the porch in that situation). Made with GF bread crumbs, lot's of parmesean and romano cheese, and a few tablespoons of various spices. Matched up really well with the Terranetti's rolls, usually delivered fresh to my Giant of choice every morning. Oh, meatballs were 1/2 ground pork and 1/2 lean ground turkey breast, very juicy.

Served with an icy cold Labatts Blue pounder.

6-26-18_meatballs.jpg

We went to our Colombian friend and she made “arepa de choclo” and “arepa de maíz”, with hot chocolate and white cheese in chunks (little pieces) that they like to put in the chocolate.

Man oh man, I am FULL as I can be.

Delicious [emoji535]

New favorite summer salad! When we made a Costco run last week to ABQ we stopped at a new place called Sauce Pizza & Wine (go figure) LOL. Pizza was very good but they had this seasonal summer salad that I can't stop thinking about. I might turn Vegan this was so good. Even @GreginND approves!

Watermelon, Arugula, Feta, Red Onion, Jicama, Pumpkin Seed, on a citrus vinaigrette.

IMG_3371.JPG

main-qimg-18f99df06f3adc185db05db423614ac7

And @JohnT might start loving Welch's grape juice wine..............................

Ok. End of June. Herbs are on fire. What to do?????
I think I can smell your basil from here! Your herbs look great this year. I finally got around to purchasing some new basil seeds so I only have some teeny, tiny basils so far. The heat for the next few weeks should get them going pretty well.

What's the plant in the middle of the image that looks like a gardenia? If it's a bay laurel I'm gonna cry (never seem to keep those alive for some reason).

Back