What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday, pizza night. I'm sick of pizza so did a stromboli with salami, ham and swiss cheese. GF pizza for the GF kid (not pictured), plain cheese za for the ladies, had some fresh mozzarella left over, so mixed that with a six cheese italian blend. Wifey liked the creaminess of the fresh mozzarella. Ho-made crusts only "aged" for about two hours, so kinda pushed the envelope on that one. Still turned out well, more flaky like a croissant verses a pizza dough.

6-15-18_boli.jpg

6-15-18_pizza.jpg

Ok. Best burger ever. 85/15 ground beef. Salt and pepper, onion powder, and Worcestershire sauce, grilled to pink perfection. Served on a brioche bun with garden raised lettuce, and Vidalia onion and a single slice of American cheese.. Home made tater salad on the side.

A nice 2011 sangiovesse to go with.IMG_20180615_181014997.jpg

One please with Green Chile!

Ok. Best burger ever. 85/15 ground beef. Salt and pepper, onion powder, and Worcestershire sauce, grilled to pink perfection. Served on a brioche bun with garden raised lettuce, and Vidalia onion and a single slice of American cheese.. Home made tater salad on the side.

A nice 2011 sangiovesse to go with.View attachment 49350

My wife and I were kid-less for a whole two hours...she had me convert a bunch of her microbiology lessons online to .mp3's so she could listen to them in the car tomorrow morning going to pick up our oldest daughter from a week away from us. I could have thought of something better to do with two kid-less hours, but she's the boss.

Tomorrow's project marinating in the fridge. Have the kettle grill set up with a snake, ready for a long cook I've got to start around 6 a.m. before I leave for my every-other-weekly men's breakfast. Have to go since a local butcher nearby has ground chuck for $2.98 lb, no minimum, and they normally grind it a few hours earlier, or sometimes while you wait. Kids love it. BTW the long cook is on a 7 lb bone-in pork butt, soaking in mojo marinate for some Cuban pulled pork for dinner (real reason is for Cubano sandwiches next week).

6-15-18_cuban-pork-marinate.jpg

Got up a bit earlier to start up the "snake" in the kettle grill. Had set it up the night before, started with regular charcoal, finished the bag, then added some professional briquets that I picked up at BJs. Wouldn't you know it, got home from breakfast to a 305*F kettle grill, the top layer of professional briquets had sped ahead of the bottom of the snake and lit a bit more charcoal than intended. Butt was at 145*F, so I was okay there. Shut the bottom vent completely for 20 minutes (I always leave the top 100% open, personal preference), then slowly adjusted until I was in the 215-230*F range, and that's where it's at now. I'm at about 170*F at 12:15 pm, so I think I'll be okay. I can always wrap and put in a cooler, will stay warm for 4-5 hours, then I can pull.

6-16-18_pork-butt-start.jpg

6-16-18_pork-butt-cooking.jpg

Got up a bit earlier to start up the "snake" in the kettle grill. Had set it up the night before, started with regular charcoal, finished the bag, then added some professional briquets that I picked up at BJs. Wouldn't you know it, got home from breakfast to a 305*F kettle grill, the top layer of professional briquets had sped ahead of the bottom of the snake and lit a bit more charcoal than intended. Butt was at 145*F, so I was okay there. Shut the bottom vent completely for 20 minutes (I always leave the top 100% open, personal preference), then slowly adjusted until I was in the 215-230*F range, and that's where it's at now. I'm at about 170*F at 12:15 pm, so I think I'll be okay. I can always wrap and put in a cooler, will stay warm for 4-5 hours, then I can pull.

View attachment 49360

View attachment 49361

Say what???? :dg

Went to church with the family like I normally do. Got home and my wife headed to the store (not sure why, but that meant I didn't have to), two of the kids headed to the pool with their cousins, and my oldest daughter went to a movie with a friends family (doing dinner afterwards). So I'm home alone on fathers day, oh well, gave me time to drink some beer, listen to the Phillies game and plant some plants. My oldest son did text me, he went on a fishing trip out of Destin FL yesterday, got a bunch of really nice red snapper (I'd love to add some cajun seasoning and grill those bad boys). Bought a hybrid Lilac for my wife, planted just to the right of the new walkway I put in, supposed to hit about 5' tall and 3-5' wide. Decided to start up the Weber bullet so I could cook a chicken w/o worrying about restocking fuel etc. Turned out really nice, did it with some hickory, house (kitchen) smells wonderful as it rests waiting for my wife's sides.

6-18-18_chicken-1.jpg

6-18-18_chicken-2.jpg

Your chicken looks delicious. I like the way the skin has coloured up. Obviously a good marinade.
I just peeked at it and took a small sample, it is one of the better chicken's I've made lately, good hickory flavor that isn't overwhelming (and I end up making a lot of chicken verses beef since diabetic kids need a lower fat diet).

The lump charcoal was $22 for 30lbs bag.
Never used or tried lump charcoal yet, maybe I should give that a try.

You can make your own lump coal if you really like it. I do it in my wood stove during the winter. I know what the wood is before it gets to burn under my food.

I use a one foot section of stove pipe with two end caps. You put the wood you want in it and then put the stove pipe into the burn chamber for the night.

Wow..need to see some photos from that

Not everyone likes lobster, so we grilled up some steak, chicken, and sweet sausage...
IMG_20180617_192420.jpg

My niece Irena. She loves lobster.

IMG_20180617_192445.jpg

We cooked up 10 of those beauties.IMG_20180617_192357.jpg

In they go. IMG_20180617_192512.jpg

Steamed for 10 minutes. The perfect cook.
IMG_20180617_192531.jpg

And with some great side dishes, the perfect hot summer meal.

IMG_20180617_192603.jpg

Latest posts

Back