What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some lamb "cutlets." Obviously, they cut up the beast a bit different here than back at home. I think these would normally be part of a "loin chop" at home, with a little of the rib meat thrown in (and, obviously, the vertebrae). I seared these, then smothered them with an ersatz Bearnaise sauce courtesy of Mrs. Knorr. I simmered some potatoes, then oiled and salted them to roast at high heat for ~1/2 hours. Similarly, I also parboiled then roasted the cauliflower. This was all served with a field salad. I washed this down with a delicious, affordable Touriga Nacional. It was very full-bodied AND very smooth. Really went well with the lamb.

DSCN1277.jpg DSCN1284.jpg

Touriga.jpg

Pizza night. Only have to make two now that the oldest has flown the coop (literally flown since he's in USAF). Got home early now that school is out of session for the summer (Alice Cooper is dancing through my head when I mention that) and made two pizza doughs. Normally I'd make them the night before, but I was lazy last night and they did get to rise for two hours before being used. Wifey made a 1/2 pepperoni, 1/2 plain cheese pizza and I used the other dough to make a Stromboli. Two types of ham, swiss cheese, some provolone and hard salami. Dough actually behaved and didn't "blow up". Reminds me of a boli I used to get at a local restaurant, though mine had more meat and was obviously better. :)

6-1-18_boli-1.jpg

6-1-18_boli-2.jpg

Baked salmon, oven roasted potatoes and salad. I was drinking a rather horrid french Pinot Noir. Which really wasn't a Pinot Noir. Typically a wholesaler rebranding another grape type in order to flick off his cheap deal at a premium price. I won't be drinking any more Arrogant Frog in the future. I do not like Grenache.

Baked salmon, oven roasted potatoes and salad. I was drinking a rather horrid french Pinot Noir. Which really wasn't a Pinot Noir. Typically a wholesaler rebranding another grape type in order to flick off his cheap deal at a premium price. I won't be drinking any more Arrogant Frog in the future. I do not like Grenache.
Grenache is not a good grape by itself but not really any fault in it, if you blend it with others like syrah it becomes a good wine. its not really flicking off a cheap deal at a premium price, sure the wine may not have been very good but 90% of the case its not the grapes fault but the people making the wine.

Grenache is not a good grape by itself but not really any fault in it, if you blend it with others like syrah it becomes a good wine. its not really flicking off a cheap deal at a premium price, sure the wine may not have been very good but 90% of the case its not the grapes fault but the people making the wine.
Yes it was a Pinot Noir / Grenache blend. But I can't get my flavour receptors around Grenache. I should have known better. After retiring, I spent some months in the south of France enjoying the company of the people, the villages and life in general. I love France but I got to see a number of these big European buyers roll through the valleys with their tankers waiting on the out skirts of town. The farmers certainly need them for cash flow. My gripe is the level of disengenuious marketing behaviour happening in the blending tanks. Certainly not the farmers or wineries. Just the big European marketing wholesalers selling more that the sizzle of french wine.

Yes it was a Pinot Noir / Grenache blend. But I can't get my flavour receptors around Grenache. I should have known better. After retiring, I spent some months in the south of France enjoying the company of the people, the villages and life in general. I love France but I got to see a number of these big European buyers roll through the valleys with their tankers waiting on the out skirts of town. The farmers certainly need them for cash flow. My gripe is the level of disengenuious marketing behaviour happening in the blending tanks. Certainly not the farmers or wineries. Just the big European marketing wholesalers selling more that the sizzle of french wine.
Sounds like typical big business lol. I as stated have a Grenache/Syrah Kit going right now, which im super excited for, all through primary its been throwing intense notes of raspberry out of the airlock thats noticeable like 3-4 feet away. Im really looking forward to this wine i think its going to be quite good. But thats cause im a fan of Syrah, and I do like Grenache, ive always been a fan of more mild red wines, i dont like Cabernet Sav because its a bit harsh. Well i perceive it to be harsh.

Latest posts

Back