What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a late lunch and getting distracted with other stuff when I got home, it was after 7pm before I started thinking about eating. Family wanted leftover chicken parm. I made some fresh guac and made that my meal. Sometimes ya just gotta slack a little bit.

I shouldn't of bought a whole bag full of steak sandwich rolls. Now I feel like I have to use them and not "waste" them. Made a reuben type sandwich using pastrami instead of corned beef. Mixed up some 1000 Island like dressing on the fly since I didn't have any, but put a bit too much of the chipotle sauce in it, got my head sweating as I ate the sandwich. Not a bad thing when their is a pint of beer nearby. Added a pickle, which isn't normally in a reuben, but it did not detract from the overall goodness of the sammy.

Wife wants a steak for dinner (we are actually going out to celebrate paying off a bunch of bills) so I think we'll end up at Longhorn's in Hanover for the evening. Kids are on their own. I've been instructed to fry up some bacon this afternoon, so I think it's a breakfast for dinner type meal (they love to cook, just don't like cleaning up all that much).

3-3-18_rachel.jpg

I seriously need to save up some money...have been watching videos all day about curing up my own corned beef from a brisket or round (also pastrami, which I'd smoke after curing). I think I see some "set it and forget it" type equipment in my near future.

I'm imagining the Cuban pork I could smoke cook for my new favorite sandwich.

I shouldn't of bought a whole bag full of steak sandwich rolls. Now I feel like I have to use them and not "waste" them. Made a reuben type sandwich using pastrami instead of corned beef. Mixed up some 1000 Island like dressing on the fly since I didn't have any, but put a bit too much of the chipotle sauce in it, got my head sweating as I ate the sandwich. Not a bad thing when their is a pint of beer nearby. Added a pickle, which isn't normally in a reuben, but it did not detract from the overall goodness of the sammy.

Wife wants a steak for dinner (we are actually going out to celebrate paying off a bunch of bills) so I think we'll end up at Longhorn's in Hanover for the evening. Kids are on their own. I've been instructed to fry up some bacon this afternoon, so I think it's a breakfast for dinner type meal (they love to cook, just don't like cleaning up all that much).

View attachment 46996

At first I wasn't sure if that was a Reuben, or a Cuban. When I realized they rhyme, I also realized it didn't matter. It looks really good either way. ;)

I seriously need to save up some money...have been watching videos all day about curing up my own corned beef from a brisket or round (also pastrami, which I'd smoke after curing). I think I see some "set it and forget it" type equipment in my near future.

I'm imagining the Cuban pork I could smoke cook for my new favorite sandwich.

Ho-made corned beef is an order of magnitude better than the store bought stuff. And the WSM is pretty much set it and forget it - just a little more subject to being a victim of the weather than a ceramic. Build a windscreen out of particle board - a 4x8 sheet and a few hinges ought to do the trick. Then you can fold it up for easy storage. Lot's of good ideas on TVWB.

Ho-made corned beef is an order of magnitude better than the store bought stuff. And the WSM is pretty much set it and forget it - just a little more subject to being a victim of the weather than a ceramic. Build a windscreen out of particle board - a 4x8 sheet and a few hinges ought to do the trick. Then you can fold it up for easy storage. Lot's of good ideas on TVWB.
I used to get used plates from the presses and hook them into a cylinder, then place them over the WSM. I'll have to see what I can drum up at work on Monday. I know the guy in charge of the pressroom in our building (best man at my sister wedding, grew up with my BIL), I just think they recycle all of them, but maybe I can "accidentally" leave a six pack or two of his favorite ho-made beer in his office.

I used to get used plates from the presses and hook them into a cylinder, then place them over the WSM. I'll have to see what I can drum up at work on Monday. I know the guy in charge of the pressroom in our building (best man at my sister wedding, grew up with my BIL), I just think they recycle all of them, but maybe I can "accidentally" leave a six pack or two of his favorite ho-made beer in his office.

In extreme situations, I've seen people use water heater jackets.

Here's some inspiration: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

Last edited:
In extreme situations, I've seen people use water heater jackets.

Here's some inspiration: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html
Photo number 2 looks a lot like what the plates look like (tall, thin, sharp on the edges), but I would drill a hole at the top/middle/bottom of opposite edges of the plate, then run a twisty tie through to create a cylinder, then rest it on three or so bricks to let some air come up from the lower level. Worked in blizzards, but I got rid of them at some point for some unknown reason (probably drinking that day) and never replaced them.

Oh, dinner didn't turn out as planned. Hit the local Longhorn, ran into a 50 minute wait (and a full bar), head for Texas Roadhouse, couldn't even get close enough to find out the wait. Headed for my original choice, but it wasn't my night to choose, the Hofbrauhaus in Abbottstown (http://hofbrauhauspa.com/). Authentic German food (I had two Weisswursts with potato dumplings, saurkraut and two Warnsteiner Dunkel mugs, Wifey had a Weiner Schnitzel platter and a Pauliner Oktoberfest). Total bill with tip was ~ $73. My wife always says she's a cheap date!

Last edited:
Both girls home from college this weekend, plus the two boys, so we officially kicked off spring today. First crawfish boil of the season, did 40# with all the fixins, plus extra corn, potatoes, and garlic. Wifey takes them, plus the leftover crawfish tails, and makes crawfish boil soup, a huge treat during the winter months. Bout to settle in with a pint of Ben & Jerrys, for good measures.

Oh, dinner didn't turn out as planned. Hit the local Longhorn, ran into a 50 minute wait (and a full bar), head for Texas Roadhouse, couldn't even get close enough to find out the wait.

Don't know about your area, but we still have over 200,000 in Northern VA without power, so I figured the restaurants would be packed tonight. Who am I kidding? They always are.

Latest posts

Back