What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now being spotted in the wild here in the States.

27972106_10209288089713895_1808974649864329690_n.jpg

27971781_10209288089353886_2583249327740267575_n.jpg

Last edited:
Me too! You always have enough food that my wife and I could drop by unannounced!! :b
I'm waiting for the series "@geek, the Caribbean cooking machine" and especially the "behind the scenes" version where 45 people descend on the food to devour it after the picture is taken. :)

Last edited:
Late dinner, in a hurry. Still trying to empty the fridge, but we are getting there. Had some leftover soldier beans, and some leftover braised kale and savoy cabbage, which I combined. I threw together an avocado salsa to complement the star of the show (lamb). The salsa had cubes of avocado, red onions macerated in lime juice, fresh rosemary, fresh basil, some leftover artichoke pesto, and some chopped olives. The lamb was some succulent specimens of rib chops, dry-brined, then seared in butter; it came out nicely crisp on the outside, rare on the inside, and lots of unctuous fatty goodness. Seasoned with coriander and fennel.

The idea was that the salsa was supposed to go on the lamb, but it didn't really go well together. They were just fine individually!

DSCN0971.jpg

Ever since I spent time in Vienna, I have been ADICTED to wiener schnitzel. Over there, you know that it was ordered when you hear the chef pounding out the meat. Like a Pavlovian bell, that distinctive "thump, thump, thump" always makes me drool.

Over there, it comes in two varieties. Schnitzel vom kalb (veal) and schnitzel vom schwein (pork). We always ordered the pork. It was about 1 euro cheaper, more tender, and (to me) more flavorful.

Anyway, yesterday was schnitzel night and, believe it or not, it was dinner on the cheap...

Center cut, boneless pork chops were on sale. A packet of four thick ones was only $4.59.

I made my own bread crumbs from the bread I baked last weekend. Broke it into pieces, and dried them in the oven at 250 for about 45 minutes. Blast the dried bread in a food processor until the crumbs were like a fine powder (this is key). total cost $0. It was stale bread that I would have thrown out.

I pounded out the chops until I had very thin cutlets about 5 or 6 times the original size. I have a HUGE meat mallet (just for schnitzel) that makes short work of it.

Then its season, four, egg wash, bread crumbs, and fry in a cast iron skillet until golden brown. I figure the cost was 50 cents for the eggs, 10 cents for the flour, and 50 cents for the oil. A total of $1.10.

As a side, I made home made spaetzle Total cost $1.25 (milk, flour, eggs, and butter (for sautee).

I also added some left over cucumber salad and some nice, fresh lemon to go over the schnitzel... (add 35 cents for the lemon)

So total cost was $7.29 and I got 6 portions out of it (I had to split 2 of them because they were so big, they could not fit into the pan).

In short, Dinner for $1.22 with a $15.00 taste!!!!

Here is a pic. Please note the lemon squeezer that we brought back from Vienna. Allows you to juice a wedge of lemon, retains the seeds, and you can pour the juice like a creamer. Got to hand it to those Austrians, they sure are ingenious.thumbnail[1].jpg

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger this weekend on a widget for the Pit Boss K24. This should do the trick on the longer cooks. I actually stumbled onto this myself recently by using a small personal fan at the inlet opening when the fire would go out do to a lack of air. This should assist at keeping the cook temp right where it needs to be with the built in thermostat.

Pulled the trigger this weekend on a widget for the Pit Boss K24. This should do the trick on the longer cooks. I actually stumbled onto this myself recently by using a small personal fan at the inlet opening when the fire would go out do to a lack of air. This should assist at keeping the cook temp right where it needs to be with the built in thermostat.

I don't have one, but have read great things over the years. Now you can throw a brisket on at 10pm and not worry about it until the morning. :sm

That's the plan. I love the food coming off the Pit Boss but didn't like having to restart the fire during longer cooks where you were trying to maintain ~225F and many times the fire would go out as it was not getting enough O2 to keep it going.

That's the plan. I love the food coming off the Pit Boss but didn't like having to restart the fire during longer cooks where you were trying to maintain ~225F and many times the fire would go out as it was not getting enough O2 to keep it going.

Been using them on my Promo grills for years, one at home, one at the hunting property. Got the WiFi version at home and can monitor and adjust the pit anywhere I have a cell phone signal. Smoked a pair of butts for nearly 24 hours at 200F without lifting the lid til they were done. Gotta love technology......

Latest posts

Back