What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty nice day outside, have been neglecting the grill, so fired "her" up to do some grilling. Kids wanted burgers and dogs, so cooked those and some country french fries. Never did get around to doing a vege, so offered some "lettuce", ie. a salad to any takers. Two older ones had theirs with Muenster cheese (aka monster cheese), mine was a swiss with some sauteed button mushrooms. Diced onion, romaine lettuce and a kosher dill pickle on the bottom, shrooms and some steak sauce on top. Made it go well with a Murphy's draught style Stout, doing some research for my next batch of Stout. Dryer than I remembered it, but at ~$40 a case, not something I buy every day/month or year.

2-13-18_burger.jpg

I shoulda waited until Ash Wed. for this one, but it was a fish night. Started with cold-smoked salmon, doused with lemon-macerated shallots, capers, and EVOO. Then a main course of mussels with chunks of ho-made bacon, shallots, and garlic, then steamed in ho-made Pinot Gris/Viognier, with parsley. The juice was sopped up with crusty sourdough. Also, a simple side of Savoy cabbage braised in ho-made chicken stock with sauteed onions.

DSCN0951.jpg DSCN0954.jpg

Last edited:
Then I FINALLY got to use some of @balatonwine paprika!!! I made Porkolt (a Hungarian beef/onion stew. Traditionally, I think that they make this with pork, but like grandma, I use beef.
This is how I made it.. Got any critiques or tips @balatonwine ?

Honestly, I refrain from any European culinary activities. My wife says I even cut the bread wrong for Fondue. (Now think about that.... How hard is it to cut bread? But I apparently do it "wrong".)

Indian, Asian, Mexican or Italian I can comment on. I can whip you up an awesome burrito. On a home made flour tortilla. But Hungarian cuisine? Not a chance. ;)

I can only suggest my good friend Dan's article on cooking Pörkölt.

New color for 2018. Collect them all! LOL

27983431_10155586860489332_1204070216580871135_o.jpg

Wine from the Future!

My favorite. Varis, will that be a good year for Chardonnay? Thinking of buying some futures. :D

Tonight we're having sous vide tenderloin steaks (finished on a ~700F Weber), grill roasted asparagus marinated in EVOO, S&P, lots of fresh garlic and taragon, oven roasted new potatoes and a simple salad.

I know vegetarian @GreginND will scoff at this, but I always get a little twitchy on the Thursday between Ash Wednesday and the first Friday in Lent. After fasting (and no meat) yesterday, and facing a day of no meat tomorrow, I have learned to try to pile it on on Thursday. I grabbed a NICE, BIG steak this evening. It is a ribeye that (similar to a few days ago) has more than just the usual two muscles in it. As I wrote the other day
Usually, the ribeye has two different muscles, the part that is the same as a strip steak (longissimus dorsi) and the cap (spinalis dorsi). My specimen seems to be from nearer to the head (I think!) of the unfortunate beast. There is a third muscle in there, that maybe @Stressbaby or one of the other docs could tell me what it is. (Longissimus cervicis, maybe? Semispinalis?)

This one even had a bit of a fourth muscle. In any event, it was really delicious. First of all, it was THICK: okay, only 1.25" thick, but my dang grocery store rarely carries anything over an inch. (Look at the side view picture below!) I, therefore, undercooked it. I was shooting for med. rare, but I would say I hit perhaps the rare side of rare. Damn good, however.

This was complemented by a baked potato and baked Delicata squash (both courtesy of the DW), and some mustard greens and onions braised with ho-made chicken stock.

DSCN0956.jpg DSCN0957.jpg DSCN0960.jpg DSCN0962.jpg

Last edited:
Back