What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for the 2nd round of t-storms to pass (and hoping there's not another right behind it). We're doing 'Hawaiian' kebobs tonight. Chicken marinated in Soy Vey Island Teriyaki, along with some tomato, peppers, onion and of course, pineapple. I will glaze with a combo of the marinade, pineapple juice and honey. Paired off with some jasmine rice and LR Tempranillo Garnacha.

I rather liked tonight's meal, but perhaps it does not measure up to the above.

Spoiler alert: butter was harmed in the making of this meal. I made a medley of green beans and wax beans, sauteed then braised with scallions and sherry. I made a large batch of Peruvian beans, seasoned with lots of butter, olive oil, garlic, lemon thyme, and lemon zest. The protein was sole meunière, seasoned with lots of black pepper and fennel, dredged in flour, fried to a golden crisp in butter, then served (obviously) with a sauce of lemon juice, parsley, and lots of butter. This was all washed down with my WE Eclipse Pinot Gris.

Wallymart in Chesapeake, VA........

20525471_10211892371176022_5510226530550291942_n.jpg

Showed my true laziness today, used pre-made crusts for the pizza. First one is a Gluten Free with half hot italian sausage for Son #2 (in age, not postition).
Number two were two pizzas using pre-made Brooklyn crusts.
Last one is an updated picture of the pastrami getting better and better in the back part of the fridge. Will attack that project tomorrow morning for some Pastrami sandwiches at lunch (maybe even a ruben sandwich). Assuming I don't stay up too late tipping carboys or cows or something.

BTW, fridge smells awesome to me, not real great reviews from the "girls" in the family. Must be vampires or something.

8-4-17_pizza-1.JPG

8-4-17_pizza-2.JPG

8-4-17_pastrami.JPG

Last edited:
Had three guests over, more than I was anticipating when I planned dinner, so I supplemented the Cafe Zuni Chicken that I was planning with some ribs. Cafe Zuni chicken relies on dry-brining a small bird, drying in the fridge, then hitting it on an oven on full whack to crisp up the skin. I went the recipe one better by using my Weber, on indirect heat, as hot as I could get it (~600F).
As I say, I realized I needed more protein, so added a rack of ribs. However, I could not get started until too late in the day, so these were NOT fall-off-the-bone tender. They were fine, no, they were good even, but not perfect. In addition to my Weber, I have a cheap charcoal/propane cabinet smoker. I rarely use it, as it is very leaky and hence very hard to control temperatures on. Instead, I usually smoke things on the grill. However, I made do, and it was okay. The ribs turned out a little toothy, although they had a nice smoke ring. I used charcoal (some lump and some briquettes), propane, and (soaked) cherry wood, but I just did not have enough time or enough control to get them tender. (I went 2-0.75-1.)

Also made creamy polenta with gorgonzola, and grilled asparagus (EVOO, coriander, fennel). I also baked the tartlets you see in the picture below, then wrapped them and put them in a plastic clamshell container.... (Yeah, right! A guest brought desert).

Sorry for the blurry pictures. Blame the wine. Speaking of which, we washed this down with: (1) my WE Eclipse Pinot Gris (2) a WTSO special Cotes de Ventoux Grenache/Syrah/Carignan blend. All very nice.

DSCN0513.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

DSCN0515.jpg

DSCN0516.jpg

Made two rather thin london broil cuts by my Son's request for his b-day dinner. Did them hot and fast, still got a little overdone for me, but by marinating overnight they were still very tender when cut on the bias. Also took off the pastrami experiment and rested in a cooler for a few hours, outside pieces are very spicy, but oldest Son looked at me and said "tastes like pastrami to me". Was amazed how much it shrunk during the cooking procees. Will have to do a larger piece next time.

8-5-17_london-broil.JPG

8-5-17_basturmal.JPG

Latest posts

Back