What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do make them!

63ca590e-168c-4ee5-b0f1-91805d31103a_1000.jpg

Yeah, but will they do it from the pile I have?

I'm going to check it out, as it stands right now, the Pit Boss wood pellet grill shipped for $450.00 versus the Pit Boss Kamado ceramic charcoal grill for $500.00 and I have to go and pick it up at Costco (I wish I had a pickup truck...:( )

IMHO, you are far better off with the ceramic. Just my opinion, of course.

So here are some pics of some of the problems with the Pit Boss Pellet Smoker. It really seems like its mostly the 820 which is the big one. Not seeing many problems with the smaller ones, perhaps because they are selling more of the 820 (big one) than anything else.

This guy has to take it apart and disassemble the auger (to clean it) every time he uses his...

One the plus side he can now do it in only 90 mins versus 360 minutes when he first tried it.

19510399_10213725964926143_1992363339347529521_n.jpg

Pics of the problems with the powder coating (peeling flaking off after just one or two smokes)

19575404_1942654299312370_934143895643087339_o.jpg

19250833_441487556232733_2927217372346585810_o.jpg

Pic of the fluctuation in temps of one of the Pit Boss 820's. This IMHO is the reason to buy it. You should be able to set it and walk away from it, even over night. This shows a huge fluctuation in the middle of the smoke especially.

19396950_10211971512396740_69210673097182783_n.jpg

IMHO, you are far better off with the ceramic. Just my opinion, of course.

I think the 820 is the one sold at Costco.com

As for those pics, I really wonder how old is that wood pellet....paint should not be flaking off that way but I guess is possible.

Those are brand new stoves. Somebody posted a Pit Boss for $300 at a Menards somewhere. I would buy a Traeger if you really want a Pellet but they run $900 for the big one.

No moving parts for the Pit Boss 24" Kamado. :db

I think the 820 is the one sold at Costco.com

As for those pics, I really wonder how old is that wood pellet....paint should not be flaking off that way but I guess is possible.

The Traeger was $750 at Costco [emoji23]

Maybe the pit boss is not making good wood pellet grills if those pics are from a new unit...wow..!!

One last thing is that charcoal grill would be something new for me, always had gas grills, so if I go with the ceramic I better start learning the treats of the trade... [emoji4]

As well as the "tricks"! :)

You start off with easy stuff, hot dogs, burgers, chicken (breast, etc) and then as you feel more comfortable move up to bigger things, steaks, ribs, then finally whole hunks o meat! :db

One last thing is that charcoal grill would be something new for me, always had gas grills, so if I go with the ceramic I better start learning the treats of the trade... [emoji4]

Ha, that too :h

We have a planned trip to NC at the end of July so might as well just quickly stop by @Boatboy24 and see how he does his tricks :)
You guys always post pics of fabulous steaks on those charcoal grills.:fsh

Bottom line, I'm almost convinced that ceramic is the way to go, just need to "finalize" the talk with the wife :sl

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but by the time you finalize those talks......

They will be sold out at Costco and gone until next Spring (and back to full price $600) :(

Bottom line, I'm almost convinced that ceramic is the way to go, just need to "finalize" the talk with the wife :sl

I hear you, since the wife works at Costco that may be an advantage right there..sometimes they even offer the floor model for like 1/3 of the original price and at $200 I'd never complain... :)

Definitely checking on this soon...

We have a planned trip to NC at the end of July so might as well just quickly stop by @Boatboy24 and see how he does his tricks :)
You guys always post pics of fabulous steaks on those charcoal grills.:fsh

Come on by!

If you feel like you are unsure of it because of lack of experience then perhaps you might think about getting yourself a 22" Weber Kettle. That thing will do almost everything the Pit Boss will do, it would allow you to get some experience with charcoal/wood and it would only set you back $100. I still use my Weber Kettle for steaks, burgers, tri-tip where I want the wood smoke flavor but they are not going to be on the grill for all that long. You can do ribs as well, you just have to exercise caution since you are cooking pretty much right over the coals.

I hear you, since the wife works at Costco that may be an advantage right there..sometimes they even offer the floor model for like 1/3 of the original price and at $200 I'd never complain... :)

Definitely checking on this soon...

If you feel like you are unsure of it because of lack of experience then perhaps you might think about getting yourself a 22" Weber Kettle. That thing will do almost everything the Pit Boss will do, it would allow you to get some experience with charcoal/wood and it would only set you back $100. I still use my Weber Kettle for steaks, burgers, tri-tip where I want the wood smoke flavor but they are not going to be on the grill for all that long. You can do ribs as well, you just have to exercise caution since you are cooking pretty much right over the coals.

I would tend to agree w/ Mike on the Weber kettle, except for the fact that you can do indirect. ;) Got my first kettle on Craigslist for $25. A year later, I sold it (for $60) and got a Performer - which is just a kettle with a nice side table, charcoal storage and propane charcoal starter. Great way to learn how to cook over live fire - it's a lot easier than it sounds, BTW.

LOL I should have said if you build your fire on one side of the Kettle and cook on the other side that is as close as you can get to indirect. Lots of options with the Kettle. I would love it if you could raise the grill up just a couple more inches for added safety from unwanted flame ups.

I would tend to agree w/ Mike on the Weber kettle, except for the fact that you can do indirect. ;) Got my first kettle on Craigslist for $25. A year later, I sold it (for $60) and got a Performer - which is just a kettle with a nice side table, charcoal storage and propane charcoal starter. Great way to learn how to cook over live fire - it's a lot easier than it sounds, BTW.

I would love it if you could raise the grill up just a couple more inches for added safety from unwanted flame ups.

They used to sell a 'warming rack' that you could stack onto the existing grate. Wish they were still around.

Lots of BBQ talk today so.......

Here comes some more! I finally procured a 24" Heat Deflector for the Pit Boss! :db Those things are like Unicorns it seems. Everybody has the 22" size but the 24" is OOS everywhere you look or it ships in 2 weeks minimum. Found it at Wallymart for $63 with free shipping. Due to a screw up in their online ordering system I got a $6 credit and they upgraded the shipping to FedEx 2 day. Arrived today and it fits perfectly. It is branded Louisiana Grills which is another name some stores are selling the Pit Boss under. This looks like just the ticket to give a bit more protection from any potential flare up plus it raises the the cooking deck a few inches higher and away from the heat source. Works as a pizza stone to boot. And yes the lid still closes! LOL :sm

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

Latest posts

Back