What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing again with sake lees - kasudoko, sake lees marinade...

Vegetables - cukes were done first. Carrots and radish still going, take longer. Definite Asian flavor. I think I prefer vinegar or lacto fermented veggies but I may try this again.

20240414_162542.jpg

Salmon kasuzuke was really good. Again, pronounced Asian flavor. This one I'll do again.

20240414_201951.jpg

Another delicious peasant food you'll only find in a local Hungarian or Eastern European butcher shop. I grew up calling this paprika szalonna - paprika bacon. I have to make some every time I get a pork belly. The pork belly is slow boiled for about 2 hours with onions and garlic. While still hot it's covered with paprika, wrapped in wax paper, and refrigerated overnight. Usually eaten sliced on rye bread with onions. And if I have patience I'll also smoke it. Crazy good!
Oh, the cooking water makes a great soup base.

20240419_170537.jpg

Another delicious peasant food you'll only find in a local Hungarian or Eastern European butcher shop. I grew up calling this paprika szalonna - paprika bacon. I have to make some every time I get a pork belly. The pork belly is slow boiled for about 2 hours with onions and garlic. While still hot it's covered with paprika, wrapped in wax paper, and refrigerated overnight. Usually eaten sliced on rye bread with onions. And if I have patience I'll also smoke it. Crazy good!

View attachment 111980

I'm going for it!

Inspired by this post, I just pulled some pork belly out of the freezer, and will give this a try. 😋

View attachment 111980

Dave, do you cure the belly before braising it? I am getting mixed signals on the internets!

Dave, do you cure the belly before braising it? I am getting mixed signals on the internets!
Usually no. If I smoke I'll do an equilibrium cure - 2.5% of the weight of meat in salt, vac seal, fridge for a couple days, then the boiling.

Been doing this about 15 years because the nearest source is 3 hours away in Cleveland. Simple:

1 lb piece of pork belly into heavy pot with COLD water covering about an inch.
1 onion quartered
as much garlic as you want (at least 6 cloves)
1 Tbls peppercorns
Couple bay leaves
3 Tbls kosher salt

Slow boil 2-3 hrs, pat dry a bit, cover with Hungarian paprika while hot, wrap in waxed paper, fridge over night. Sometimes I'll put a weight on top to keep it flat. (This time I did.) And as I mentioned the water is delicious.

Usually no. If I smoke I'll do an equilibrium cure - 2.5% of the weight of meat in salt, vac seal, fridge for a couple days, then the boiling.

Been doing this about 15 years because the nearest source is 3 hours away in Cleveland. Simple:

1 lb piece of pork belly into heavy pot with COLD water covering about an inch.
1 onion quartered
as much garlic as you want (at least 6 cloves)
1 Tbls peppercorns
Couple bay leaves
3 Tbls kosher salt

Slow boil 2-3 hrs, pat dry a bit, cover with Hungarian paprika while hot, wrap in waxed paper, fridge over night. Sometimes I'll put a weight on top to keep it flat. (This time I did.) And as I mentioned the water is delicious.

Thanks for writing that up. Will do this tomorrow. 😋

Back