Whats brewin’?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A farmer offered to give me a bunch of "Lavender" to try and make a wine from. Has anyone made a herbal wine? I never did and was wondering how is comes out?
smiley25.gif

I have Peach, Jalapeno, Pinot Grigio,South African Pinotage Cabernet,Cabernet/Merlot,Watermelon

Bill c.

Bill, tell us more about the watermelon please! Do you like it? Beg. SG? Yeast used? How much fruit or juice to start? ETC. Thanks!

smiley32.gif

I have a plum mead going and a Chenin Blanc from concentrate.-- I am also interested in the watermelon wine. I've got a couple of watermelons growing nicely in my garden and thought they might be fun to turn into wine! More info, please!!

T. Rose,

Check out the fruit wines section, there's a thread devoted to watermelon wine.

PM,

You mentioned that you did a "lemon balm" herbal wine and it came out ok! I friend offered me some fresh "Lavender" and I was wondering what if...never made a herbal wine yet. Care to relate on the wine base, etc.? Thanks.

CW,

I dehydrated some watermelon and I could not believe how sweet the fruit is! It came out tasting like "cotton-candy" with so much sweetness to it, I will admit that it found a hidden tooth cavity!Edited by: Maui Joe

Hhmmm......dehydrated watermelon. How do you do that? In a standard dehydrator thingy? Sounds like candy to me. I would think you can grow them year round there. Do you have enough property there to grow fruit?

CW, ya, I do that with extra bananas, papaya, mango, etc. I did not grow the watermelon, other farmers share extras and give-a-ways.

Maui,

I've made a few herb/flower recipe, and I have usually followed terry garey's recipe, but some of them turned out too intense for me.

For fresh lavender, I would definitely use about 4 cups of loosely packed flowers per gallon. If you have tons of it, try another one with 5, and another one with 6 cups. I made a chrysanthemum wine with 6 cups of flower petals and I thought I would keel over -- that's how strong the taste and smell were. I imagine something similar with lavender.

I ahve started a lavender wine with dried lavender. It's fermenting right now, and it smells great. I substituted about a pound of white, granulated sugar for some light brown sugar, and the smell is just fantastic. I think it gives the wine a little something. We'll see how it turns out in the end.

Hope this helps!

Martina

The lavender oil is great. It has such a peacful "calming" attitude about it which is "quite pleasing." I find it very interesting but I admit I am abit apprehensive in doing a "herbal" experiement until I threw this thought out there. After hearing from you, maybe I'll give ita try soon. Much thanks for the info!
smiley32.gif

Martina, did you use a "white grape" base and a good water, etc.? I am assuming that we just use the flowers and buds, excluding stems, etc.?

MP, thanks for the info. The Lavender sounds more interesting to me now. Please let us know how it turned out.
smiley17.gif

Maui Joe said:
The lavender oil is great. It has such a peacful "calming" attitude about it which is "quite pleasing." I find it very interesting but I admit I am abit apprehensive in doing a "herbal" experiement until I threw this thought out there. After hearing from you, maybe I'll give ita try soon. Much thanks for the info!
smiley32.gif

Martina, did you use a "white grape" base and a good water, etc.? I am assuming that we just use the flowers and buds, excluding stems, etc.?

Sorry I'm just answering now, MauiJoe. I've been a little sidetracked lately, so I'm sorry for the late reply.

For my lavender wine, I used no concentrate base -- the base will be lavender. CountryWine discourages the use, and so I thought I would try it out that way. It still smells wonderful -- even after 2 months. I am very excited about it. It hasn't shown signs of clearing, and so I think that maybe I might add some fining agents to it. I am not very familiar with them, so this might be an experiment. (just like all my wines!!!)

For my chrysanthemum wine, however, I did use a purple-grape base. It turned out to be rose, and, if I may say so myself, it won a 1st place in the county fair here, so it's pretty good at least.
smiley9.gif

I also have made a marigold wine, using a purple-grape concentrate. Sorry, CW.... ;) I think it tastes pretty good, but I only have 2 bottles left and I'm going to try and save them for at least another 6 months.
smiley36.gif
yeah, right.

This year, I've been toying with the idea to leave the grape concentrate out of the recipe because of CW's suggestions. I don't know if the wines will have enough body, but we will find out at the end, I guess.

Again, I'm so sorry for the delayed response!

martina

Oh, I simply used tap water and I just used the petals of the chrysanthemums and marigolds.

I bought the lavender from www.oldtimeherbs.com and I can only recommend buying herbs there. They are very quick to ship and very reasonably priced.

:)

geocorn said:
That is my number one reason for bulk aging. It seems that once the wine gets in the bottle, it is "fair game" and they do not get a chance to bottle age.

I'm with you George. I won't bottle any thing unless it's at least three month old. I built a new wine cellar. If mention it to any one they want to "see"

I think the best version is when my daughter and grandaughter help me bottle some wine. My daughter was filling a case with wine and my grand-daughter said: He wanted to age that wine before giving it away." My daughter replied: It'll age at my place just as good as it does here."

Chief

hi this looks like a pretty active forum soo i need some help from all u wine makers PLEASE......................... i would like to buy 5 gallon glass carboys new (hopefully) but as cheap as possible, they dont have to be new but clear in color..........................

i have searched high and low and cant seem to find any if anyone has any for sale please email me or give me a call at (918)635-5233 or email me at [email protected] or if you guys have a website that i caan buy them............. thankyou so much sundee
smiley19.gif

Sundee,

This is a wine making supply website. This forum is just part of it.

Geocorn is the owner he can tell you all you want to know.

Sundee,

5-gallon glass carboys are all over the net. I think my prices are at the low end, but the real cost is in the shipping. The good news is that it costs about the same to ship 2 as it does 1, so if you order in multiples of 2, the shipping cost on the second carboy is vertually nil. If you would like a quote, please give me call at 866-417-1114.

By the way, thanks for the kudos, Greenbean.

Latest posts

Back