What's better

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCWine007

Junior
Reaction score
I've never used a wine kit only garden grown. I did however determine that if you use store bought fruits you run the risk of it not breaking down properly due to preservatives. Has anyone else ran into this issue. I make wine from my own grown blueberries, strawberries, watermelon and grapes. Dealing with strawberry I had to throw out the store bought since the color was a light pinkish orange and the taste was not there at all. When I used home grown strawberries without preservatives or pesticides it came out a beautiful reddish pink color and the taste is remarkable. Ran into the same issue with watermelon. Maybe it's me but wine made without all the chemicals meaning preservatives and pesticides come out a more flavorable wine. What do you all think.

A reason why homegrown fruit is better: You will pick it at the peak of ripeness. Grocery store variety is picked before it has reached the peak so that it will appear to be ripe in the store. The flavor and sugars have not fully developed.

Latest posts

Back