Other What you most want to see in 2022 from Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you most like to see new from Finer Wine Kits in 2022 (you can only pick one)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we are still awaiting the verdict on that MLF experience from a couple forum members and the FWK products. I personally haven’t seen an actual statement from LP or Matteo on that subject. But from my street corner, it would be nice to have a complete kit that comes with the MLB included and to have that process incorporated into the directions, if it turns out to be the case.
I am confused with the meanings for MLK, and MLB.

I think we are still awaiting the verdict on that MLF experience from a couple forum members and the FWK products. I personally haven’t seen an actual statement from LP or Matteo on that subject. But from my street corner, it would be nice to have a complete kit that comes with the MLB included and to have that process incorporated into the directions, if it turns out to be the case.

Here's the response I got from Matt P. when I asked:

James, Thank you for your FWK order. Unlike regular wine kits that are pasteurized, you can use MLF with the FWK though I'm not sure how much benefit that you would get from it. The acidity is already balanced in these kits.

Have a great day!

Matt

from Matt P:

James, Thank you for your FWK order. Unlike regular wine kits that are pasteurized, you can use MLF with the FWK though I'm not sure how much benefit that you would get from it. The acidity is already balanced in these kits.
Matt P is spot on. Malolactic Fermentation (MLF) is the process of Malolactic Bacteria (MLB) converting harsher malic acid into milder lactic acid, and producing a few side effects in the process. Some are beneficial (buttery flavor common to Chardonnays, more stable) and some are not (acetic acid, e.g., vinegar).

ANY wine can be inoculated with MLB. Grape, juice, frozen bucket, kit, or any fruit. Even Skeeter Pee. However, if there is little or no malic acid, nothing will happen. Skeeter Pee (containing citric acid) is essentially the same, with or without MLB added. The MLB will die, their little lives unfulfilled.

To "enable" MLF in a kit means the kit has to be unbalanced, adding too much malic acid. If this is done, then every purchaser of the kit has to inoculate with MLB else have an unbalanced wine.

Is there a market for a "MLF-enabled" Chardonnay kit? There is, but it's a risky product, as MLF is a finicky process and doesn't always go right. All too many dissatisfied customers will blame the vendor, producing a bad reputation and/or forcing them to refund money. Personally, it's too big a risk, even for the large kit vendors.

This is on par with cold stabilization regarding the common misunderstanding of what it does. Cold stabilization precipitates excess tartaric acid, and as a side effect of the crystals dropping clears the wine. Without excess tartaric acid, it either does little or it produces a flabby wine.

Last edited:
If there is no benefit in doing so to a FWK product, because they are already balanced, then why wouldn’t all commercial wineries do what the kits do and forego the Mlf step? Surely it would be easier for them.
No clue, but I can guess. Flavor is one thing, as a buttery Chardonnay is desirable. And it may be that balancing acid is NOT easier -- but kit vendors don't have a lot of choice. I don't know enough about the nuts-n-bolts of acid balancing a kit to know either way.

Keep in mind that a kit designed for MLF is feasible, but from a marketing and risk POV, *I* can't see a good value for a kit vendor. The drawbacks heavily outweigh the benefits in the quickie risk assessment I visualized.

I know (and agree) the reason why a kit vendor wouldn’t do it. You are right, , you never will get a buttery style Chard from a kit, no Matter what tricks you try (I have tried so many ways), Mlf is the only way…but I struggle to say that not doing it to a FWK red would still produce a better end product, especially rounding out mouth feel etc…just my opinion of course. I am gonna test it soon.

but I struggle to say that not doing it to a FWK red would still produce a better end product, especially rounding out mouth feel etc…just my opinion of course. I am gonna test it soon.
It sounds like a good experiment and will answer the question definitively. Are you going to split the batch, or make 2 of the same kit? I suggest keeping the treated and untreated batches separate.

I know (and agree) the reason why a kit vendor wouldn’t do it. You are right, , you never will get a buttery style Chard from a kit, no Matter what tricks you try (I have tried so many ways), Mlf is the only way…but I struggle to say that not doing it to a FWK red would still produce a better end product, especially rounding out mouth feel etc…just my opinion of course. I am gonna test it soon.
Have ya tried using D47 for a Chardonnay? My 1st stab at a Chard (almost 3months into bulk aging on 1 light toast American oak spiral)...and it's got pretty dang great aroma, flavor & mouthfeel.

Cheers!

Have ya tried using D47 for a Chardonnay? My 1st stab at a Chard (almost 3months into bulk aging on 1 light toast American oak spiral)...and it's got pretty dang great aroma, flavor & mouthfeel.

Cheers!

Yes, I have a number of yeasts, and tried a few oak variations as well, but I am now convinced that a buttery note is only achievable by doing Mlf on Chardonnay

Yes, I have a number of yeasts, and tried a few oak variations as well, but I am now convinced that a buttery note is only achievable by doing Mlf on Chardonnay
Good Luck. I think D47 delivers ✌ Guess U only find out if u try MLF'ing...

Good Luck. I think D47 delivers ✌ Guess U only find out if u try MLF'ing...

Well I should clarify (I don’t drink whites), but wife swears that none of the kit wines get nearly as “buttery” as she likes, and she loves super buttery. Closest one so far she said is the RJS EP white trio, probably because it’s a blend.

Well I should clarify (I don’t drink whites), but wife swears that none of the kit wines get nearly as “buttery” as she likes, and she loves super buttery. Closest one so far she said is the RJS EP white trio, probably because it’s a blend.
If you haven't tried D47......do so 🤘

Latest posts

Back