Other What you most want to see in 2022 from Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you most like to see new from Finer Wine Kits in 2022 (you can only pick one)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I chose more blends, as my main interest these days is blends.

Getting juices from other areas is dependent upon FWK's supplier -- unless other vendors adopt the non-pasteurization process, it's up to the one supplier to source other juices.

I don't see larger format kits happening. The issue is weight -- up to a certain point FedEx and UPS will deliver, but once that point is crossed, shipping changes to truck delivery. Plus once anyone gets a triple size kit -- how ya gonna pickup the concentrate bag to empty it? Logistics around delivery and starting a kit make this one less likely.

I purchased 3 kits to make a triple batch, and emptied them sequentially into a 32 gallon Brute.

An option not listed is more varietals from the supplier. I'd like to see Grenache and other Rhone varietals. And Italian and Spanish and anything else varietals.

Great!

It's a hard choice for me -- new blends or new varietals. However, if I could make the choice, I'd choose more blends. Sure, this limits me to what FWK produces and they have to go with what they believe will sell. But they can go granular on grape amounts, something I can't as easily do as I have to buy full kits, even if a blend needs only 1 gallon of a wine. This is not a complaint, just recognition of reality.

I chose the MLF option, just because I'd like to try it and a kit would be a very simple way to do that. I'd also like to see more varietals.

Labelpeelers has indicated that MLF is more than likely possible with these kits. I believe someone has attempted it. So that option wasn't one I even considered. I was torn between blends and more varietals. Went with the varietals.

Labelpeelers has indicated that MLF is more than likely possible with these kits. I believe someone has attempted it. So that option wasn't one I even considered. I was torn between blends and more varietals. Went with the varietals.

I think we are still awaiting the verdict on that MLF experience from a couple forum members and the FWK products. I personally haven’t seen an actual statement from LP or Matteo on that subject. But from my street corner, it would be nice to have a complete kit that comes with the MLB included and to have that process incorporated into the directions, if it turns out to be the case.

But from my street corner, it would be nice to have a complete kit that comes with the MLB included and to have that process incorporated into the directions, if it turns out to be the case.

Not to be overly cantankerous, but I do not want to see mlb included with wine kits, first, it takes kit winemaking out of the hands of beginners or should. In addition, the extra cost of the bacteria in a wine kit would be a bunch more than I want to pay. I would assume they would add one of the more likely to work bacteria and not the Wlpxxxx type, which seldom seems to work for most folks.

Not to be overly cantankerous, but I do not want to see mlb included with wine kits, first, it takes kit winemaking out of the hands of beginners or should. In addition, the extra cost of the bacteria in a wine kit would be a bunch more than I want to pay. I would assume they would add one of the more likely to work bacteria and not the Wlpxxxx type, which seldom seems to work for most folks.
They could have it as an optional add on like they do skins for Tavola kits..

I went with more varietals (over more blends), figure I can blend my own to a certain extent and love that FWK non-blends are 100% varietal. I could easily see myself having a few which are ready to bottle, and could bench trial blends, perhaps bottle some as 100% varietals and bottle the balance as a blend or even two.

I would love it if they (or their supplier/processor in Lodi) could get some premium grapes from other AVAs but I'm not sure that will be possible, or it might be possible but pricing might be prohibitive, if the kits costs doubled for instance.

As to larger sizes, not really interested as it seems easy enough to just buy additional kits (same varietal or make your own blend) to obtain the amount you need if you were filling a barrel for instance.

MLF wise that does not come across as an advantage to me, to need to do it in kit wines. As others have mentioned I believe that some are already trying it with FWKs, and I think Matteo indicated that it likely can be done as the kits are not ultra pasteurized, but since the kits (FWK and all others) come with balanced acidity, I personally do not want to add another step which takes time and extra supplies which are expensive.

Last edited:
But from my street corner, it would be nice to have a complete kit that comes with the MLB included and to have that process incorporated into the directions, if it turns out to be the case.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Make it a relatively easy process with everything included.
Not to be overly cantankerous, but I do not want to see mlb included with wine kits, first, it takes kit winemaking out of the hands of beginners or should. In addition, the extra cost of the bacteria in a wine kit would be a bunch more than I want to pay.
Why would you care if it was offered as an option? That does seem overly cantankerous. ;)

I'd like a Meritage blend and a rose.
The rose idea is a great one, and I would like to see FWK offer that.

But Meritage is really just the US term for Bordeaux-style, they termed and trademarked Meritage (tm) simply not to have to say "Bordeaux style," but both mean the same, a blend of Cab. S., Merlot, Cab. F., Malbec, Petit Verdot and a few other variteals including Carmenere which has exploded (much like Malbec) in South America, although great examples of both persist in France.

Red Meritage wines historically have been among the world's most highly rated wines. They are prized for their smooth, silky texture and complex, robust structure. While they age beautifully - often for decades - most are also very drinkable in their younger years. A Red Meritage is a blend of two or more of the red "noble" Bordeaux varieties - Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Merlot, Petit Verdot and the rarer St. Macaire, Gros Verdot and Carmenère. If the blend includes any other grape variety, it is, by definition, not a Meritage. Also, to qualify as a Meritage, no single grape variety can make up more than 90% of the blend. source: Red Meritage - What is Meritage? - Meritage Alliance

So my point is that FWK's Bordeaux style is essentially the same as Meritage, albeit their current version (since they could not get Cab. Franc) this year leans on a couple grapes which are not at all within the Bordeaux/Meritage orbit (Syrah and Petite Sirah). Since the meritage folks say this: If the blend includes any other grape variety, it is, by definition, not a Meritage. So current Bordeaux doesn't qualify, but still no need for a similarly inspired blend which most years will tick both boxes.

Back