What yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosyden

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a beginners guide to yeast or maybe a table of yeast strains with all the characteristics listed?
I’ve been using Youngs basic dried active yeast. It’s doing exactly what I need it to do but I’m intrigued by all the other strains and curious if they would really make a discernible difference to my pretty unsophisticated palette.
I’m about out of Youngs yeast and yeast nutrient so ordered some VinClasse yeast compound and VinClasse yeast nutrient. I didn’t realise that the yeast compound is a mixture of yeast and nutrient until it arrived so I’ve ended up with 1 kg of nutrient which I’m unlikely to use unless I buy some plain yeast. So…. I figure it’s a good opportunity for a bit of experimentation. But, where do I start?

There’s a ton of info out on the net. My list is probably a fraction of what’s available. I keep all these in a 3 ring binder for reference.

For yeast manufacturers, google...
Lallemand
Red Star
Scott Labs
Wyeast
White Labs

For suppliers, google...
Morewine
Vintners Harvest

Is there a beginners guide to yeast or maybe a table of yeast strains with all the characteristics listed?
I’ve been using Youngs basic dried active yeast. It’s doing exactly what I need it to do but I’m intrigued by all the other strains and curious if they would really make a discernible difference to my pretty unsophisticated palette.
I’m about out of Youngs yeast and yeast nutrient so ordered some VinClasse yeast compound and VinClasse yeast nutrient. I didn’t realise that the yeast compound is a mixture of yeast and nutrient until it arrived so I’ve ended up with 1 kg of nutrient which I’m unlikely to use unless I buy some plain yeast. So…. I figure it’s a good opportunity for a bit of experimentation. But, where do I start?
I use champagne yeast for everything, it especially works great if you are making scrumpy hic hic.

Latest posts

Back