What yeast to use that dies at 12-13% ABV?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
After trying to back sweeten without diluting the wine with simple syrup or introducing oxygen by stirring in sugar, I'm thinking I just need a yeast that is only tolerant to about 13%.

Anyone have any recommendations? Also, does the yeast actual die or do they go dormant when they hit the tolerance number?

Thanks!

Abv Tolerances are estimations. Way too difficult to try and calculate sweetness to juice and yeast used to end up with the perfect abv and sweetness. (Tho probably fun trying) That’s why standard practice is ferment dry and then back sweeten later.

Concern with diluting the wine with simple syrup or oxidizing with mixing in sugar is unnecessary IMO. Prolonged O2 exposure is the killer. Which unfortunately can lead to unjustified fear of o2.
And amount of syrup used doesn’t noticeably dilute the wine either IMO. Does more than just sweeten. It accentuates other notes too. Really letting that fruit shine. A few months after sweetening you really notice the transformation.

Agree with Ajmassa.
That's about the same as trying to stop a ferment at a given SG VERY VERY tough to do. In fact with too much sugar a yeast might even stall out before it reaches it 'normal' max amount. Not say it cannot be done but... Better to just start with the SG set for the desired ABV and back-sweeten.
If you are planning ahead properly the amount of water in a simple syrup is not going to dilute your wine to any significant degree - especially with fruit wines - Increast fruit / gallon ratio and the ABV a little and you aren't going to dilute the flavor. You can even push the Simple Syrup ration to 3 cups sugar to 1 cup water.

(Note: on your other request - Apple Wine Recipe) Will get that tomorrow perhaps, next time I'm in my winery room/basement and have my book to look up what I used)

Last edited:
I agree with @Ajmassa , best to ferment dry and use sugar to backsweeten. To answer your question directly, Montrachet (Davis # 522) is reported at 13%.

Lets say the % isn't an estimate, but an actual. When the ABV his that magic number, do the yeast actually die or do they go dormant, like they do in the cold?

Lets say the % isn't an estimate, but an actual. When the ABV his that magic number, do the yeast actually die or do they go dormant, like they do in the cold?
Fermentation is a complex biochemical process during which yeasts convert sugars to ethanol, carbon dioxide, and other metabolic byproducts that contribute to the chemical composition. Alcohol is the sewage produced by the yeast. Like @Johnd said, they die. They can no longer survive in that hostile environment than any of us.

Fermentation is a complex biochemical process during which yeasts convert sugars to ethanol, carbon dioxide, and other metabolic byproducts that contribute to the chemical composition. Alcohol is the sewage produced by the yeast. Like @Johnd said, they die. They can no longer survive in that hostile environment than any of us.

Speak for yourself, I rather thrive when my environment is full of wine in the 15% ABV range!! LOL

I just need a yeast that is only tolerant to about 13%

Back to the original question, I'd suggest D47. It's a good all around yeast for cider, whites, rose and fruity reds. It is also a weakling and never really makes it over 12% for me. Certainly not 13%. Plus if you don't add a lot of nutrients it will cut out early without producing H2S.

As mentioned above, it is difficult to be precise about where it will end up. You should still add sorbate. Back-sweetening is more exacting.

Back to the original question, I'd suggest D47. It's a good all around yeast for cider, whites, rose and fruity reds. It is also a weakling and never really makes it over 12% for me. Certainly not 13%. Plus if you don't add a lot of nutrients it will cut out early without producing H2S.

As mentioned above, it is difficult to be precise about where it will end up. You should still add sorbate. Back-sweetening is more exacting.

Check the Lallemand website for the D47 specs: https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/docs/products/tds/TDS_LALVIN_D47_ENG_DIGITAL.pdf

Latest posts

Back