What would you make?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said Dave. And then buy a chest freezer and plant two or 3 times as much and fill that freezer.
Well, there's the freezer above the fridge in the kitchen, the freezer above my fermented vegetable fridge, and a small chest freezer. The only store bought item right now are 8 corned beefs. Everything else is from the garden or sausage I've made. And if I ever see a nice big beef brisket at a good price half will go to the smoker and half will be made into corned beef - I always wanted to make my own.
But, yes, I may have to upgrade my chest freezer!

Any good sausage recipes to share?

I just put a half bison in the freezer and that's a lot of ground to get through.
Most of my recipes are old Hungarian favorites. Good fresh paprika is important! There are recipes that use bull blood and pig blood. Haven't made them but I have tasted. Yes, they are GOOD! I wonder if bison blood would work?

Generally I agree with you -- I make wine that I or someone else wants to drink. OTOH, @vinny sounds adventurous, so trying different kits without knowing for sure what the result will be, may be up his alley.

For most people, I'll expand upon my previous advice -- do research on varietals and types (e.g., Bordeaux), and buy 3 bottles that research indicates are good value. Pop the corks and do a tasting. If the wines are good, look for grapes, juice, and/or kits.

I'm on the adventurous side and have liked every red vinifera I've tried. There are a few whites (e.g., Pinot Grigio) that don't do much for me. OTOH, I don't like Muscadine & Scuppernong, but periodically I'll stop at an eastern NC winery (Muscadine, Scuppernong, and hybrids out of FL are what grows) and try the wines. So far I've not found a wine I liked, but ya never know, some day I might. :)
u have not tried pinot grigio(gris) from ontario Canada - try it - give me ur reviews
the climate is perfect for this grape, like Riesling and gewurtzraminer
yet again every one's pallet is different

Most of my recipes are old Hungarian favorites. Good fresh paprika is important! There are recipes that use bull blood and pig blood. Haven't made them but I have tasted. Yes, they are GOOD! I wonder if bison blood would work?
There shouldn't be enough difference with bison blood that it won't be a substitute.

I worked with a guy who was raised in the Philippines and emigrated to the USA in his late teens. He took me to a Philippine market that had a restaurant. He explained what some of the dishes were, as he was concerned that I'd be grossed out by some. One (no idea what the name is) was beef in a sauce, thickened with blood.

My dad was first generation born in the USA (parents were Hungarian farmers) and both my parents grew up in the Great Depression, so if you had food, you didn't question it. I grew up eating stuff most people in the USA wouldn't, so this dish was no big deal to me. It was delicious!

u have not tried pinot grigio(gris) from ontario Canada - try it - give me ur reviews
I'll have to see if I can find one. TotalWine might carry one. As I said, I'm willing to try things, as ya never know what I'll like. And if I don't try it, I won't know.

There shouldn't be enough difference with bison blood that it won't be a substitute.

I worked with a guy who was raised in the Philippines and emigrated to the USA in his late teens. He took me to a Philippine market that had a restaurant. He explained what some of the dishes were, as he was concerned that I'd be grossed out by some. One (no idea what the name is) was beef in a sauce, thickened with blood.

My dad was first generation born in the USA (parents were Hungarian farmers) and both my parents grew up in the Great Depression, so if you had food, you didn't question it. I grew up eating stuff most people in the USA wouldn't, so this dish was no big deal to me. It was delicious!

I'll have to see if I can find one. TotalWine might carry one. As I said, I'm willing to try things, as ya never know what I'll like. And if I don't try it, I won't know.

i too grew up with ur food pallet - my grand parents/ parents from italy early19th century
i know the stories about food - tell this to my children they say oh my - but they really do not know - the younger generation have no clue - which is fine - as a parent of 3 - we all want our kids to do better than us

I'm sure I could get blood. They've probably had stranger requests. Just go pick up a bucket? haha

I figured I ordered the animal killed. It's the responsible thing to take all I can. I actually asked for it last time, too, but this time I got the heart and the tongue, liver too, but that's not too out there. As Bryan says, I won't know if I like it if I don't try it.

I've eaten crickets, testicles, love sushi... I'm more afraid to miss out on experiences than trying something I don't like. I actually hated pickled ginger for years. still had a little bit every time I went for sushi. Now, I love it. Sometimes you have to train the pallet, too.

I wouldn't mind starting with a tried and true recipe though. Sometimes the beginners course is OK, too.

I'm sure I could get blood. They've probably had stranger requests. Just go pick up a bucket? haha

I figured I ordered the animal killed. It's the responsible thing to take all I can. I actually asked for it last time, too, but this time I got the heart and the tongue, liver too, but that's not too out there. As Bryan says, I won't know if I like it if I don't try it.

I've eaten crickets, testicles, love sushi... I'm more afraid to miss out on experiences than trying something I don't like. I actually hated pickled ginger for years. still had a little bit every time I went for sushi. Now, I love it. Sometimes you have to train the pallet, too.

I wouldn't mind starting with a tried and true recipe though. Sometimes the beginners course is OK, too.
When I was a kid you could get the blood from ethnic butcher shops. Most still carry sausage made with every conceivable part of the animal. Blood is more difficult to find. It may be a matter of losing touch with the old ways. Or another example of a thousand+ year old tradition suddenly becoming "unsafe".

And I'm with you, pal - if it fits in my mouth I'll taste it. 😄

When I was a kid you could get the blood from ethnic butcher shops. Most still carry sausage made with every conceivable part of the animal. Blood is more difficult to find. It may be a matter of losing touch with the old ways. Or another example of a thousand+ year old tradition suddenly becoming "unsafe".
I recall my dad saying that they only thing they didn't use on a pig was the oink. Feet and head for head cheese. Organ meats. Blood. intestines for sausage casings.

People that face hunger as a very real thing do not waste.

My wife and I grew up in different circumstances and never had to fear hunger. However, we pride ourselves on not wasting food. Our kids grew up with "leftover nights" where we emptied the fridge of leftovers. I've been WFH for 2+ years, and now we actually plan leftovers so I'll have lunch. :)

I am just over 2 months into this hobby and I have been bitten hard. I started with frozen raspberries from the garden and have made a decent list so far.

White Grape
Skeeter Pee
Dragons Blood
Hard Malt Lemonade
Pinot Gris
Shiraz
Merlot
Diablo Rojo

The last 4 are kits. I just racked the last 2 and I am starting to think about what to make next.

I know tastes are very subjective, but I am curious if anyone has any recommendations of something they thought was exceptionally good. I'd like to break out of the standard wines I default to buying. Shiraz, Cab Sauv, Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Riesling, Chianti, etc. These are not out of the question if you have a great suggestion, but I'm interested in broadening my experience.

I don't have access to FWK, but would love to hear any other suggestions, kit or otherwise.
Banana wine: three pounds bananas, one pound of raisins per gallon. Delicious. Elderberry wine when in season.

If you can find a pinotage kit. It is worth trying.

Though that might just be my South African bias.

I like blueberry wine when making fruit wines. Tart cherry is also worth it.

Latest posts

Back