What would you make with a few gallons of maple syrup?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been thinking about that but with the volumes used for back sweetening I think the maple flavor would get lost unless you had a very lightly flavored wine.
Perhaps you could just have an all maple flavored wine. Maybe once the maple flavor is there sweetening with table sugar or more maple would be enough to maintain the flavor. I can imagine drinking maple syrup. It’s so good.

We tapped the maple trees at my dads place yesterday. He typically makes 8 to 12 gallons of syrup a year. When he gets to the bottom of the batch there is always some quarts with a lot of sugar sand that settles out. Then there is the darker syrup (grade B?) that ends up collecting dust in the cellar. Right now I could probably scrounge together at least three gallons of this stuff.

I did a search for maple syrup and read a few threads on maple wine and cider (I still don’t know the difference) but I would like to know what you would make, or how you would use three gallons of maple syrup if-n you had that much?
I'll give you $20 per gallon for the Grade B!

I'll give you $20 per gallon for the Grade B!

I don’t think dad’s ever sold any. He makes it for family and friends. He’s 85 this year and he has a hard time collecting the buckets so my nephew does most of that. Dad watches the fire and plays cards all day with the neighbor. When he can no longer do it I’m bringing the shack to my place and I’ll take over as family syrup magnate 👑

A sipper while you're making wine .... 100 proof rye whiskey (I use Rittenhouse, not expensive), marinated with orange peel for 24 hrs., maple syrup added at an 80 whiskey/20 syrup ratio. Play with the proportions to your satisfaction. Just pulled my taps after the annual 4-5 gallon production (or whenever I'm tired of splitting wood).

A sipper while you're making wine .... 100 proof rye whiskey (I use Rittenhouse, not expensive), marinated with orange peel for 24 hrs., maple syrup added at an 80 whiskey/20 syrup ratio. Play with the proportions to your satisfaction. Just pulled my taps after the annual 4-5 gallon production (or whenever I'm tired of splitting wood).
Make that brandy and you have a maple old fashioned!

There's something special about things like making maple syrup or other heritage arts (like vintning). I live on the farm where my father grew up, and am tapping trees in the same woods. Dad and his brother spent nights after school stoking an iron kettle and selling syrup for $1 a gallon during the Depression. Now in my 70's, I feel almost obligated to carry on, though I know I will be the last.

Latest posts

Back