Other What would you make again?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WE white cranberry Pinot Gris. A friend made it for gifts at their wedding. My wife liked it. I've made it twice and should do another one.

Is it sweet? My daughter and her husband like sweet wines. My wife, oddly enough, likes them dry.

Sweet, dry, semi-dry, bold, oaky, non-oaked ... I like everything ... that's MY problem.

I haven't bottled yet. But at 7 months my Eclipse Bravado Super Tuscan tastes as advertised ; A big bold red. Every single person I let taste has raved and requested a bottle.

I have that one and the Eclipse Old Vine Zin, along with the Eclipse Lodi Cab Sav bottled and on the shelf now. Still way too early to tell much....but I liked them when they went in the bottle. So, I was unsure if I would make them again.

Neighbor lady and I were talking about it the other day. She likes the cheap white kits, but the big kits for the reds. But we both agreed that even though young, these Eclipse kits were a real step up in quality. Neither of us have any that are over a year old.

I have done (among others) the Stags Leap Merlot, RJS super Tuscan, Lodi Cab, and Red Mountain Cab. They are good, but I don't think I would do them again.

I enjoy the WE Cab Shiraz, very nice wine.

I am re-doing both the Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay and the Green Apple Riesling. Very popular amongst friends who enjoy the sweeter wines.

I am more apt to redo the white kits. For reds its frozen must.

I have done (among others) the Stags Leap Merlot, RJS super Tuscan, Lodi Cab, and Red Mountain Cab. They are good, but I don't think I would do them again.

I enjoy the WE Cab Shiraz, very nice wine.

I am re-doing both the Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay and the Green Apple Riesling. Very popular amongst friends who enjoy the sweeter wines.

I am more apt to redo the white kits. For reds its frozen must.

Interesting. I'd love to do frozen musts or juice pails but here in Birmingham AL, the LHBS doesn't place those type of orders and shipping is crazy expensive. I have to travel for work so I've thought about driving to Fine Vine Wines in Dallas or to Label Peelers in Kent OH, visiting customers and reps along the way, and expense the trip! Then, I have to get them home ...

Interesting. I'd love to do frozen musts or juice pails but here in Birmingham AL, the LHBS doesn't place those type of orders and shipping is crazy expensive. I have to travel for work so I've thought about driving to Fine Vine Wines in Dallas or to Label Peelers in Kent OH, visiting customers and reps along the way, and expense the trip! Then, I have to get them home ...

You probably don't have to go quite that far. I know St. Louis Wine and Beermaking in St. Louis brings in juice and I think some place in Florida, I have seen some mentions of in various posts here. You might even be able to go to someplace like Cincinnati and pick up some.

Is it sweet? My daughter and her husband like sweet wines. My wife, oddly enough, likes them dry.

Sweet, dry, semi-dry, bold, oaky, non-oaked ... I like everything ... that's MY problem.

That is what is great about making wine. Make it the way you like, or not (like the recent Cab that stuck at 0.998).

Red--As far as what I would make again, I have great success and am very pleased with any of the premium kits with skins; WE and RJS. Try making the kind of commercial wine you like. The ones that I would (and have) made again are the OV Zin and Syrah from WE. I've made 4 of the OVZs, and my brother says it is comparable to a $30 to $40 commercial wine. It takes a year + of aging to get there though, and I do a yeast swap too.

I have a rather young Super Tuscan that is about 8 months old now, and while good, I'm not as impressed as others here. I'll give it some more time. I have an RJS Tuscan in waiting and will see how it comes out. It seems to be the preferred ST from what I've read here.

White--I've had good luck with several mid to high end Chardonnays from a couple of sources. I like Cali-style chards though.

Good Luck!

What is a yeast swap?

The yeast all put their keys in a bowl at a dinner party. Then husband yeast blindly picks a set of keys and then ........
Couldn't help myself.

You already do it Ron. Just using a different yeast better suited for your wine then whatever was packaged with your kit.

I have an RJS Tuscan in waiting and will see how it comes out. It seems to be the preferred ST from what I've read here.

I noticed that as well. Ron, I know your were curious about the WE Bravado ST, but I've also seen more praise for that RJS Tuscan over the Eclipse Bravado. There was also another LE Super Tuscan prior to Bravado that I read was a click down from RJS too.

The yeast all put their keys in a bowl at a dinner party. Then husband yeast blindly picks a set of keys and then ........
Couldn't help myself.

You already do it Ron. Just using a different yeast better suited for your wine then whatever was packaged with your kit.

Haha! Got it! Even Google didn't know what you meant!
Yes, I always change the yeast because I'm, quite frankly, tired of EC-1118 and that seems to be the only thing that's ever packaged in the kit.

RJ Spagnols Winery Series Super Tuscan. Made it twice already, and will make it again.

I have this kit clearing now. When I get to bulk aging, I'm thinking about adding a couple of American Oak spirals, medium toast. Having made this a couple of times yourself, would you recommend this or not?

I'd make last summer's Winexpert Eclipse Nocturne if they offered it again.. Had a bottle last weekend at the 9 and a half month mark and was sending Winexpert an email begging them to do for Nocturne what they did with Forza. Got a message back that there was another limited release coming in July that I would like, but that's all they'd give me. I have made Vieux Chateau du Roi twice because I love Southern Rhones as you can see.

I have this kit clearing now. When I get to bulk aging, I'm thinking about adding a couple of American Oak spirals, medium toast. Having made this a couple of times yourself, would you recommend this or not?

If I recall correctly, the kit comes with a good amount of medium Hungarian oak and it was enough for me. Oak is a personal thing though, and everyone's taste is different.

2 Spirals along with the oak included with the kit would be a lot of oak. I'd use the kit oak, let it sit for a few months, rack it, taste it, and add more if needed.

Latest posts

Back