What would you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to rack these wines that went both through MLF last year:

1. Merlot/Cab blend from Chilean grapes May 2015. Previous rack in August 2016 and pH showed ~3.46
Today, racked and pH showed ~3.17, couldn't check TA but wine tastes a bit harsh and acidic, drinkable but...

2. Petite Syrah: Started Sept. 2015. This wine had showed high pH since day 1, last time in March 2016 at ~3.79 (it was ~3.86 and came down after adding some old Merlot that had a lower pH). Wine was sort of harsh, had checked TA and it seemed in the ~.8
Today, racked and pH showed ~3.55 and the wine tastes much better and mellow.

Mixed a bit of each into a glass and pH showed ~3.36, taste is ok but still just a little bit harsh.

So, these 2 wines sitting in the basement have dropped their pH, the Petite Syrah for good but the Merlot/Cab blend not so much.

So, I was intending to bottle the Chilean Merlot/Cab tomorrow but based on these results the Petite Syrah is a better candidate to bottle.
I was not able to check TA tonight but am sure these pH values seem in line based on their taste.

Obviously, I don't think that Merlot/Cab blend is a good candidate to cold stabilize due to the low pH at ~3.17, based on what I read about CS, right? I thought about CS 1gal jug to see where it goes....

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Cold stab will drop TA and might raise PH. Usually does for me. Then just rack off the crystals.

That's pretty high ph so yes I would think it would go down. You could just pull off a small sample like a glass or so cover and put in cold frig. Check it in a few days?

With those numbers, and over a year of age on it, I'd be bottling the Petite Sirah. Keep in mind that this is a big, beast of a wine and it will still mellow and improve. Make sure you keep plenty around for a while.

On the Cab/Merlot, I'd try bicarbonate and CS on a gallon and see what it does.

With those numbers, and over a year of age on it, I'd be bottling the Petite Sirah. Keep in mind that this is a big, beast of a wine and it will still mellow and improve. Make sure you keep plenty around for a while.

On the Cab/Merlot, I'd try bicarbonate and CS on a gallon and see what it does.

That is what I was thinking about last night, man is PS the darkest wine or what?? :sh

I took a gallon of the Merlot/Cab blend and left outside last night, adding a bit of pot bicarbonate today and see how it goes.
Good idea about getting the PS bottled.

I've seen different numbers for this threshold.
This source says the cutoff is 3.65.

I am believing that number more, 3.6x is what I've heard being bounced around in the forum some time ago. Thanks for the link.

@Boatboy24
Jim,

Do I remember correctly seeing a post by you sometime ago where you did CS on a wine?
If so what was the initial pH prior to adjusting and then what was the final pH after CS?

@Boatboy24
Jim,

Do I remember correctly seeing a post by you sometime ago where you did CS on a wine?
If so what was the initial pH prior to adjusting and then what was the final pH after CS?

My 2015 Lanza Cab. Post fermentation pH was 3.25 and I finished at 3.63 after potassium carbonate and CS.

Ok, how high did you up the pH with pot carbonate before the CS?
Want to know if the pH changed during the CS for you.

Latest posts

Back