What would you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
Greetings,

I had a first this past weekend. I had ordered 3 pails of Regina fresh juice and they arrived on Friday. One pail was a white zin. Now when I opened the pail the juice was already bubbling away. I've had this happen before with other juices, I do my testing, make my adjustments then pitch my yeast and away it goes. However this pail was different. When I checked the initial SG it was 1.030. I was shocked that it was so low. I racked it off and it had a little bit of lees in the bottom of the pail. Now I am stumped? I decided to pitch my yeast (lalvin ec1118) and I will see how much alcohol there will be when it stops. If the alcohol is low I will make a sugar solution to raise the alcohol to 11-12%. I have never received a pail that was this far along. Have you ever got a pail like this and what did you do?

Thanks
Joe

STOP!
Your wine has FERMENTED to your 1.030. White Zin is not a high % wine. I made one last year from Juice and the starting gravity was 1.100 Which will give you 13%. Leave it alone and dont add any more sugar unless you want to back sweeten.
BTW your yeast probably didnt take over from the wild yeast.

You would have to get a super large starter. I think it to late its65% done. Try it if you want. Be hard to see which one won out.

Back