what would you do...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhughes

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of kit wine over the weekend. It was the RJ Spagnols LE Toro. I forgot to add the little extra k meta that is recommended if you are cellaring for more than 6 months. Based on the nature of this red, I really hoped to store it that long or longer... what would you do to correct at this point?

Is it worth opening each bottle and adding a proportionate amount of k meta to each bottle?

Is the risk of oxidization that high, if I see these lasting a year and not much more?

What would you recommend?

To be honest - I wouldn't - i think you are risking more harm than good at this point. Home winemakers generally use more sulfites than commercial wineries do. How many dosages did you add and how far apart did you add it?

Chances are you are safe.

I just bottled a batch of kit wine over the weekend. It was the RJ Spagnols LE Toro. I forgot to add the little extra k meta that is recommended if you are cellaring for more than 6 months. Based on the nature of this red, I really hoped to store it that long or longer... what would you do to correct at this point?

Is it worth opening each bottle and adding a proportionate amount of k meta to each bottle?

Is the risk of oxidization that high, if I see these lasting a year and not much more?

What would you recommend?

Did you add any ?

If not drink fast ! .. LOL

I added both a pkg. of Sulphite and a pkg. Potassium Sorbate about 30 days ago as per the instructions and nothing since. I didn't do any bulk aging - just wanted to follow the instructions as this is only my 2nd batch - so I haven't add anything more. Hope that helps.

Can't believe I missed it... the whole point was to follow the instructions to make sure I got some experience and hopefully early success... Doh!

What risks are there in opening the bottles and adding some at this point? Is the primary risk contamination?

Well you are definitely introducing O2 exposure to your wine.

How many bottles do you have?

Will they be drank up in 3-6 months?

It was 30 bottles. I didn't originally plan on touching it that fast. I wasn't going to open the first bottle until after 3 months, and let it age from there... Figured I try and give it closer to 1 year, but I may have to change plans :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

That's what the forum is here for!!

If you added the recommended amount of k-meta 30 days before bottling - I still think you will be alright.

When i add the dosage before bottling - i don't open the bottles every 3-4 months to re-add. I just let them go until i drink the bottles up.

You are not the first or last to make that omission.
I would just let it stay in the bottle this time. Just don't press your luck and try to stretch it to two years in the bottle.

Agree with others - you will get 1 year out of this no problem; I would stick with your plan to start drinking it at a year old ( sample at 3, 6 and 9 months) and then have at it - this is a good kit and be a shame to drink it too early.

Have you thought about looking for someone around you that could test the pH and Free SO2 ?

It will be fine for quite awhile. As noted in a recent thread S02 levels dont drop as fast as everyone has been staing and Ive cut down quite awhile ago but even still looks like ai need to cut down more as I havnt been using e very accurate test to do it and according to better testing evn I have been adding it to frequent.

Thanks again for the replies. Sounds like leaving it is the best approach...

I have thought about testing... but don't know anyone near by with the equipment.

What do you guys use to test? I saw an add in Winemaker Magazine for a tester from Vinmetrica (I think) and saw that mentioned here before... is that the kind of testing most people do? or are there other methods?

I would take a different approach than most of the responses I see. I would leave a case or so untouched and plan to drink it within a year. Then take the other half and dump the wine back into the carboy with 1/8 tsp of K-meta, mix and re-bottle that portion. This should be a good kit and I think it would be a shame not to have some of it still around in 1 1/2 to 2 years.

It'll cost you some corks, but there's a reason the kit companies have this clause in their instructions.

The k-meta that was added 30 days ago was intended to protect the wine through clearing and the first 6 months (or so) in the bottle. Most kits, this one included, say if you want to age it beyond 6 months, add some more K-meta.

Jim

Latest posts

Back