what would you charge?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bossbaby

Reaction score
I enjoy gifting the wine I make to people that dont ask for it and who know will enjoy it. I've got one friend who asks me all the time for more wine and offers to pay for it and i tell him i dont sell it so when the time is right I'll bring ya some. He has since offered to purchase a few kits for me to make for him. Which brings me to the question how many bottles do I keep for my trouble per 6 gal kit?? What would you charge?

I've made several kits for my niece -- she paid for all materials and I essentially donated labor. I kept a couple bottles from each batch. However, she's one of my favorite relatives, and we drink enough of her wine when I visit, so I feel ok about that. Besides, I really like winemaking and it's fun for me to make wine I neither have to pay for or store after bottling.

For a friend? I'd probably keep 5 or 6 bottles. 1 gallon / half a case sounds right. But I'd only make for someone I considered a friend, not acquaintances.

The biggest danger you face is that carboys can multiply like rabbits -- a couple of years from now, you have 20 carboys and the wine in none of them belongs to you! :p

You might find that your friend wants more and more wine, or others find out you're making for him and want you to make for them as well. To curb this, require your friend has some skin in the game. He has to help reconstitute the kit, help with the first racking, degassing, fining, etc. Make it clear that Mother Nature is in charge of the schedule up to that point and he must comply. Resistance is futile.

A lot of folks are fine with handing you money and walking away with 2 cases of wine. When they have to be present, on schedule? Maybe not so much ...

Or your friend may find that he likes the winemaking, and either starts his own or is happy to continue helping you. My elder son & I make wine together and it's a fun experience for both of us.

On a more somber note, be very cautious of anything resembling the sale of alcohol in the USA. Unlicensed sale of alcohol interferes with revenue collection, and nothing makes a politician crazier than the loss of someone else's money for the politician to spend. I say that tongue-in-cheek, but bootlegging has serious penalties, so it's worth thinking things through first.

My son & niece are part owners of our 2020 and 2021 reds. I keep track of all costs, and they reimburse me for their part of the batches.

I use the word "cost" to emphasize that no one makes any money, or receives anything else for the wine. We are a co-op, and everyone pays their share of the costs, including corks, capsules, and printing labels. All labor is donated.

If you make wine for anyone, emphasize "cost" and avoid "price", as price indicates sales.

While there is little risk in making a few batches of wine, my dad was a cop and he taught me to fly under the radar. Not being noticed avoids unnecessary hassles. ;)

I found that having friends participate in making there wine from kits. grape or fruit successful. I would schedule a bottling party for all involved and others and it became a tradition as they helped me bottle my wine as well. these get together started one into wine making and another into a winery.

On a more somber note, be very cautious of anything resembling the sale of alcohol in the USA. Unlicensed sale of alcohol interferes with revenue collection, and nothing makes a politician crazier than the loss of someone else's money for the politician to spend. I say that tongue-in-cheek, but bootlegging has serious penalties, so it's worth thinking things through first.

My son & niece are part owners of our 2020 and 2021 reds. I keep track of all costs, and they reimburse me for their part of the batches.

I use the word "cost" to emphasize that no one makes any money, or receives anything else for the wine. We are a co-op, and everyone pays their share of the costs, including corks, capsules, and printing labels. All labor is donated.

If you make wine for anyone, emphasize "cost" and avoid "price", as price indicates sales.

While there is little risk in making a few batches of wine, my dad was a cop and he taught me to fly under the radar. Not being noticed avoids unnecessary hassles. ;)
That's a good point, I only give my wine to my good friends and a few offer to buy more, but I tell them to return my bottles rinsed clean and I may refill it.

I enjoy gifting the wine I make to people that dont ask for it and who know will enjoy it. I've got one friend who asks me all the time for more wine and offers to pay for it and i tell him i dont sell it so when the time is right I'll bring ya some. He has since offered to purchase a few kits for me to make for him. Which brings me to the question how many bottles do I keep for my trouble per 6 gal kit?? What would you charge?
I enjoy growing grapes, making and gifting wine. I made a mistake many years ago when I turned a motorcycle hobby into a business and ruined my riding enjoyment. As for me, I will keep wine making a hobby.

Agree. Sales of wine is regulated. But charging for labor costs to make a product is less so. Maybe (and maybe depends on local regs).

And because I wonder about that "maybe", I am one who always asks TPTB before doing. And every time I do, I run into quite a few blank stares are first: my ideas are often outside their radar. And then after some weeks, months, and yes in one case years, I get the gold stamp and I know what I am doing will not land me with a fine or in jail. :cool:

One more thought; the amount you "make" and store at your house can be considered wine you produced for the year. Not that the Feds will show up to count bottles but you don't want to take a chance. I would opt for you to help him make the kits at his place. Then you can either share the output or not.

I've traded wine in the past for crypto.. My friend/customer massively overpaid though when the market took off.. :)

Latest posts

Back