What wine and manufacture to get next?...suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerbos5

Reaction score
Ok so I have made three kits all by WE 2 VR (cab & chard), and 1 blueberry pinot Island mist which is still in the hopper but smells really good, also have tasted some other WE like there pinotage ect...... I have some grapes on order at my local brew store to make a Cab Franc/merlot, which will be really fun, whole new learning curve there but the owner of the store is very patient and loves to help when needed. What I have noticed on the 2 VR is a kit smell/taste don't get me wrong they are drinkable, but I want to make one with less "kit taste/smell" I primarily like reds, but can stand a good dry white. I know certain people on here like mosti, and some cellar craft, I'm trying to find a trend on who is getting what from the novice to experienced, I figure if there is a commonality, you can't be wrong and its proven itself...by the way I like just about all reds, they are all good for different occasions. Thanks for you help all. :)

kerbos5 Welcome to the forum Some really great folks here. Not to mention the hundreds of years of experience. I live West of you a bit. Between Lawrence and Topeka.
I can't help you on "kits". I have only used fresh fruits from around here. If you really like the big reds you ought to go out and pick yourself some Elderberries. They are ripe now and make a tremendous wine.
So have a good time here and keep fermenting.
Brad

Thanks woodbee, I'm still a little new to this hobby, I don't have the first clue on where to pick elderberries, but would be up for it, any suggestions?...oh and by the way, yeah I know there are lots of good people here.... feel like I know them even though they don't know me, been reading the forums since the beginning of this year.

Ok funny thing happened just did a search for elderberries in KC, and found another forum of a gentlemen posting an open call to pick as many FREE elderberries as I wanted just send him a tell, I would be interested in this but first need to know what accessories I would need to by to make this wine, I have your standard wine making "stuff" including an aspirator and two more empty carboys, would I need a crusher destemmer, if so I don't think I could afford it right now, and then the Elderberries and its wine would not be free for me. :) Any thoughts, or tutorial out there for making this from scratch?

Last edited:
Ok so I have made three kits all by WE 2 VR (cab & chard), and 1 blueberry pinot Island mist which is still in the hopper but smells really good, also have tasted some other WE like there pinotage ect...... I have some grapes on order at my local brew store to make a Cab Franc/merlot, which will be really fun, whole new learning curve there but the owner of the store is very patient and loves to help when needed. What I have noticed on the 2 VR is a kit smell/taste don't get me wrong they are drinkable, but I want to make one with less "kit taste/smell" I primarily like reds, but can stand a good dry white. I know certain people on here like mosti, and some cellar craft, I'm trying to find a trend on who is getting what from the novice to experienced, I figure if there is a commonality, you can't be wrong and its proven itself...by the way I like just about all reds, they are all good for different occasions. Thanks for you help all. :)

Welcome,
WE V/R are basic kits You need to look at a better kit. Both Midwest and Fine Vine Wines http://finevinewines.com/ have better kits. If you call George @ above URL and tell him what you like he will stear you you to a better kit.

Latest posts

Back