What water to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellothere123

Junior
Reaction score
I recently moved to a farm. I can’t wait to make wine from fruit and other stuff.
I still have 2 kits and was wondering what water to use.
I have well water, softened water, and reverse osmosis water that is coming off of the softener.
The well water has contaminates that are acceptable and the iron level is minimal.
What water do I use? I guess this same question will apply to when I make wine from fruit around the farm.
Thanks for your advice!!!
I’ve also heard of using well water but boil it first

Have you had the water tested? Most county heath departments provide that service. The only reason not to do that is if you are afraid they will find something bad and demand the well be shut down. That's unlikely but you owe it to yourself and everyone who will be drinking that water.

Otherwise I would think that with an OK from the county health dept the Reverse Osmosis would be the best way. Why not use the best - Are you adding any chlorine or flouride to the well water? If not then your Reverse Osmosis water should be the best you can get.

I believe that if it were me and given that "well water has contaminates that are acceptable and the iron level is minimal" I would use the well water or the reverse osmosis water. For my fruit wine making efforts recently, I have been using as little to no water, if at all possible. Why water down the flavors??

Latest posts

Back