What was the worst wine you ever made?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodnboro

Reaction score
Looking through my log book, I see that I'm approaching my 100th batch of wine and was thinking back about some of my early disasters. The one that sticks out was a pineapple that I tried using canned pineapple juice with added canned pineapple chunks. I don't know what happened, but it smelled so bad that I couldn't even let it try to finish. It turns my stomach just to think about it. What's was your worst?

First time I made wine it was wild Muscadine. It is a legend in our house though, because I made the girls (four little girls ages 3-8) stomp the grapes barefoot. The acid started to burn their feet. I was so desperate for a solution to quiet them down I told them to put socks on. Another bad call! The lack of air to their feet made the pain worse.

The wine was super acidic, but somehow managed to also stink and turn to vinegar - VA? I still added sugar and drank it though.

Last edited:
1st place: Dandelion. Runner up: Stinging nettle. 2nd runner up: corn (field) Honorable mention: carrot wheat

2014 Tempranillo. VA was so bad I dumped the lot and turned the barrel into a coffee table for the deck:(

A wine I made from OLD jam and jellies...type, age unknown. Brown wine is just not appealing and the taste was not much better. Effective...nice 13% ABV. Maybe my first dumper...but thought I'd give it bottle time and see what happens.

tried it again, another batch...still brown...added oak...added blueberry flavoring...so it is a slightly oaked blueberry smelling crappy brown wine....but, at the moment it is still better than the first batch.

Have lots more jellies and jams...no more wine batches....I'm slowly feeding it to the bees, they seem to really like it.

Have lots more jellies and jams...no more wine batches....I'm slowly feeding it to the bees, they seem to really like it.[/QUOTE]

I hope ypu dont live near me. And dont buy any honey from your neighbors.

Later in summer it wont end up in honey crop and bees can use the sugar then.

I attempted a rice white, (not saki) but couldn't get the yeast balls, only a powdered yeast from the local Asian market. I just flushed the stinky, soupy mess today.

When I was 19, I attempted to make a current wine. I used pure current juice and did an open air, organic ferment on it. I added no sugar, yeast, or any type of nutrients. If there is a Hell, that would be the stuff they would be serving. YUK!!!

If I were a bad man, a vindictive man, or a man that likes to "stir the pot" I would add that it still tasted better than Welch's. but I am not going to do that.. :)

Oh yeah that reminds me about the early early years too! Gallon of koolaid with extra sugar and innoculated with bakers yeast. Baloon style airlock. Not really bad but no concept of clearing and racking. Certainly was bit by the bug fairly early :)

Cheers!
-johann

Latest posts

Back