What was the first wine you made?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First wine was and elderflower and marigold wine. Tasted not too bad but packed a hell of a punch. I've also made a batch of beet root wine (weird I know but that's what I had in the garden at the time) Was nice, amazingly sweet but it went rather well with a sugar deficient batch of ginger beer that I was waiting to find a use for.

My first attempt at winemaking was from homegrown grapes. I have two vines called Strawberry Vines (fragola) and unfortunately I didn't have any test equipment nor did I realise that they were meant to be red grapes. The vines were about 7 years old and every year the birds ate the grapes but I wondered if it would be possible to make wine from them if I could beat the birds to them.

I picked sufficient grapes to make make 3 gallons and set about crushing by hand. The green skins were thrown away and it was at that point that I discovered that the brix was very low. I poured in some sugar syrup and added the yeast. After 72 hours the must still wasn't fermenting so after seeking advice I made up a yeast starter and got the must fermenting that way.

A test of the acid level, about 12g/litre tartaric showed that the grapes were very under ripe and produced something undrinkable but I had got the bug and 18 months later I am on ferment no.48.

Rob

Pumpkin and I could not even get my 17 year old at the time to drink it. Must be bad when a teenager turns down free booze.
I have learned a lot since then, mostly thanks to WMT. Thanks to all for the addiction LOL

I've made meads in the past, but my first actual wine is a strawberry rhubarb which was the reason I had joined this forum in the first place, I was trying to find information on using a steam juicer. Someone had posted exactly the information I needed, I didn't even need to ask.
I sat on the juice for almost a year before getting around to making the wine and it's now in the process of clarifying.

The last two times I've racked it down, I've taken a bit off to taste. It's already quite nice. I can't imagine it will gain much with age.
It seems a bit tart at first, but that goes away after it's had a chance to breath, or maybe I just get used to it and stop noticing.

Syrah pick from my Grandfathers upper vineyard. Don't remember the process,
It tasted bad, hell I was 8 what do you want

My first was a WE Selections White Merlot. Followed immediately by a Mist Kit for the DW. Just finished the last bottle of that White Merlot a couple months or so ago. I am seriously considering making 2 of every kit from now on except the Mists. The best tasting bottle of every kit so far has been the last one.

Last edited:
Firsts are always special. My first time was with my wife . . . We made a wine expert selection international Amarone. It lasted about 8 months.

Rhubarb is our first attempt. It's on the go now. We got fresh rhubarb from our neighbours garden, so decided to give it a go. Not sure how it will turn out. We also did a Solomon Grundy Cherry kit, just so we had something to show for our efforts without waiting 6 months. We only started 3 weeks ago, but have several kits brewing nicely. Can't wait to taste the fruits of out labour.

Fist wine I made was October 2009 and it was a Wine Expert Valpolicella. Most only lasted 4 months but we did have a bottle saved and had it when it was just over a year old.

1994 - a Vineco California Connoisseur Mosel for my brothers' wedding. It was backsweetened quite a bit, as I did with all my early wines, and was quite popular. I've been expected to supply all functions since, but these days all they want is mist kits which is fine with me since I get to keep the good dry reds for myself!!

My first Red Wine that i made it was so great , and you never test like this Wine before....... and this is a secret .....

I have a Vino Italiano Merlot currently in primary. Will you be adding anything like a sweetener to this or is it best left as is? I like dry wines, but as a first timer not sure how sweet or dry this kit will be.

My wife and I prefer dry reds, so I racked it onto oak chips last night with the intent of finishing drying it out. I don't plan to backsweeten at all unless it's just way, way out of balance. This is my first Vino Italiano kit, so I'm not sure what it will need, but a friend of mine has had fantastic experiences with them.

-Rich

Wild Berry White Zinfadel. - Summer Breezin kit - 6 gallons.
Turned out pretty good, even with mistakes.:try

Wine Expert Merlot.
Bought beginners kit for wine making and got $20 discount on the WE kit.
As we pulled away from the store, my wife looked at me and said "You will never make a good wine."
I think that over the past 3-4 years she has eaten (drunk?!?!) her words quite often. :ib

First wine was a Costco Kit. I have since done 4 more kits. First one was a little rough around the edges but the second one came out perfectly. I had learnt from a few mistakes the first time. #1 - Don't get greedy!

My first was a Vino Italiano Sauvignon Blanc because of being new to wine making, it was cheap. My wife liked it so much I am on the monthly mailing for $37.50. I have the WE New Zealeand Sauv. Blanc but she still perfers the Vino Italiano.

Wife got me a starter kit and WE Columbian Valley Washinton Riesling For X-mas. Thee other kits since then and I'm going to try making Skeeter Pee this weekend.

Started out with mead but switched over to wine. Apple was my first wine followed by skeeter pee.

My first wine was suggested by my neighbor who got me started in the wine making hobby. started with a Blackberry/Merlot that I made sweet and came out very good (I think so and everyone that's tasted it). I also started two hot-packs of Catawba the same day, But they're still clearing right now.

Strawberry merlot.

Our first wine was a box kit. Was going to be a merlot but didn't taste like one. Was good but my partner called it red koolaid. Lol

Back