What was the first wine you made?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
started helping a friend when he had bypass surgery few years back. He needed help with the lifting so when I made my own first batch several years ago it turned out ok. Elderberry it was and I still have a few bottles left. Just started this years batch with the same recipe.

LMAO These are the kind of stories I love to hear. It's great to see where you were and now where you are. I started off with kits, so I cheated and it's a good thing. My wife was not pleased with me going into this until she tasted the wine. If I had screwed up the first batch or two it would have been all history.

My husband was not pleased at all!!! He was told by friends I would blow the house up. lol Thank God for this forum and me learning to always ferment in a bucket and one that is not snapped shut!!!!

What was the first wine you made and how did the process go?

The first "wine" I made was awful but here is what I did:

1 package of koolaid
1 package of bread yeast
twice the amount of sugar the koolaid package called for and the requisite amount of water.

put in a gallon jug and let stand 1 week tasted nasty but had alcohol.

I was 13 at the time. =)

My wife and I decided to give sausage making a try. So we were poking around on YouTube and came across a video by an Irish gentleman demonstrating how to make wine from store bought grape juice. After realizing how much fat goes into making good sausage, I decided wine making was probably a better choice.

The guy at our local wine making store tried to sell me a kit but I insisted on making wine from Welches in the same way as was done in the video. It came out pretty well.

That was a little over a year ago. I now have 15 five-gallon carboys and 20 one-gallon jugs filled with anything and everything that I can figure out how to ferment.

And thanks to everyone on these forums, I am making some damn good wines.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

3 gallons of watermelon wine. After about a year I declared it a total loss and down the drain it went lol.

Oh dear! On my first attempt, I did several 1 gallon batches from grocery store juice, apple, concord, and berry blend. Not having a hydrometer and following Youtube videos, I made wines, but barely tolerable wines.

my first wine was a fresh pear from own tree it was AWSOME! Thanks to Wade and all his help, racking, racking, aging, racking, aging, racking, did I mention aging? :)

3 gallons of watermelon wine. After about a year I declared it a total loss and down the drain it went lol.

Hunt I made a watermelon flop I think it was my second wine that one burst my bubble! I used it as marinade it had a week flavor of watermelon and never really cleared it didn't go south though I babysat the temp

Hunt I made a watermelon flop I think it was my second wine that one burst my bubble! I used it as marinade it had a week flavor of watermelon and never really cleared it didn't go south though I babysat the temp

I had no idea what I was doing at the time and let it sit on the gross lees for about 8 months.

I had no idea what I was doing at the time and let it sit on the gross lees for about 8 months.

you were doomed before you even started! haven't attempted making another one but think my next watermelon will be a kit! The chances of that going wrong aren't as high lol Well at least you know more now. Any plans to start another now that you know better?

you were doomed before you even started! haven't attempted making another one but think my next watermelon will be a kit! The chances of that going wrong aren't as high lol Well at least you know more now. Any plans to start another now that you know better?

I'm thinking about it. My store has 5 LBS for $1. I'm thinking of juicing 20 lbs and boiling it down to a gallon and giving it a shot.

mine was apple ,,,, after it was all done and ready to drink ,, my brother in law ( he like to hit the bottle all the time )he came up ,,, after dinner I took out the wine ,, hwe each had 3 4 glasses , and he says """ lets go get some real stuff ,, this suff is like apple juice ,,, and stands up ,, weaves grabs the table plops back down in the chair ,, and says maybe we should just have another glass of this ... It tasted like juice but would kick your butt

When I was a kid I would go to the library and read all the old British country winemaking books. There is a long tradition of fruit winemaking there I guess. When I grew my palate I became somewhat of a self professed wine snob. And I knew where I lived I couldn't get quality grapes at the time. So I took on the challenge of making drier food friendly fruit wines. And they turned out good.

Latest posts

Back