What was the first wine you made?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to make my first wine, but I have bucket of 2012 frozen cabernet sauvignon grapes on reserve and I am working on my backyard wine trellises. I'll let you know how things work out.

Met the step father of a friend and he was a Prof. at local college teaching a class Wine Making 101. showed me the steps, ( even sent me a DVD ) made my first batch of Concord wine. That was 10yrs ago haven't stopped making since.

my first attempt was 1/2 gallon of peach and 1/2 gallon of blueberry, basically prison wine, I used can of peaches in syrup and bakers yeast, then i blended fresh blueberries and bakers yeast again. blueberry turned out okay but the peach was flavorless and really needed a lot of work to make it drinkable.

Way back in 1982 made a crab apple wine. Wasn't too bad but gave my sister in law one heck of a headache and hangover. Stopped making wine for a long time now back at it for the last 4 years. Glad I found this forum. Learning more all the time.

Made a one gallon batch from Welch's frozen concentrate, that was 10 years ago and I have been making wine since.

My first wine

What was the first wine you made and how did the process go?

The first wine I made was a Riesling from a kit...I topped it off with waaayyy to much water and it is really bad. However, I recovered with another kit wine and 3 batches of skeeter pee that turned out fantastic!

We started in 2009 with a concord/cataba grape mix from our own grapes grown in our small 5-row vineyard then bought 6-gal kits off ebay,Angel Blanco,Liebfraumilch,Acai Raspberry Cabernet Sauvignon,Seville Orange Sangria and cherry from Vinters Reserve plus a batch of hand squeezed peach wine which was the most trouble.Brewing now is a 6 gal jug of Gewurztraminer.We have 2011 and 2012 grape crops frozen of our grapes to still smash for 2 new batches but not in any hurry.Having fun and enjoying the new tastes....:h

My first is was a WE Mist Pomagranate Zinfandel. It is sweet and wine like so a success. I haven't bottled my next batches yet, but have a pinot Gregio and Reisling/Traminar kit wines aging and plan to start a 4th, a chardonnay/semillon next weekend. Hopefully these taste more wine like.

WE Vintners Reserve Shiraz.

Not Good. Very thin, mostly because of novice rackings and topping with water.

Learned a lot on the cheaper kits first !

I don't remember the brand but it was a Barolo and it came with raisons. The store wasn't going to carry the brand anymore and it was over a year old and I got it for $10.00.

Dragons Blood. I wasnt happy with it at first but it or I came around after a couple months in the bottle

Been brewing beer since 1989. Started doing mead 2003.

Starting my first grape wine today with a can of Alexanders Pinot Noir
concentrate. Going to do 2.5 gallons adding some white grape
juice concentrate and dextrose. Want something a little more
than medium bodied.

All the Best,
D. White

Crab apple wine!:d

Came across these pictures of me fermenting it 15 years ago.
I think the non-food grade garbage bins and broom handle added a special taste to this one!:s

It ended up being rocket fuel as I followed some recipe and didn't own a hydrometer back then!

apple wine.jpg

Heh nice pics ( :

My first "wine" was made of water+sugar+baker's yeast... I fermented it for a week or two I think and then drank it. It was very hard to keep down. I would like to think that my palate has improved since then.

Great witches brew! How did it come out, looks like a lot.

Ha HA.. all I remember is that a buddy and I would drink a bottle each in a night and we would be messed right up.
Pretty much what a 20 yr old is looking for right?
Funny, since then I've stuck to making hard cider if I have extra apples apples!

We were renting a 3-400 sq ft bst suite where it was made and the backyard had tons of crab apples. The nice part is that I actually quite enjoyed making the stuff and it got me going.
The next year we made a lot of decent stuff out of cherries, raspberries, peaches etc... all measured with a hydrometer first. We even started using campton tablets, pectic enzimes, etc...

Last edited:
Ha!! LOL, my first was a crabapple rhubarb. I would have to say, anyone who had a "good" batch the first time around is either lucky or lying!!! Mine was so bad is want even good enough to be considered just bad!!!

LMAO These are the kind of stories I love to hear. It's great to see where you were and now where you are. I started off with kits, so I cheated and it's a good thing. My wife was not pleased with me going into this until she tasted the wine. If I had screwed up the first batch or two it would have been all history.

Hahahaha...I can relate to that. I secretly told my kids I wanted a wine kit for Christmas about three years ago. Then I went out and slowly bought the equipment I needed. Fortunately the wife liked the kit.... and then the second batch as well. If she didn't, the hobby never would have lasted past the first bottling.

Hahahaha...I can relate to that. I secretly told my kids I wanted a wine kit for Christmas about three years ago. Then I went out and slowly bought the equipment I needed. Fortunately the wife liked the kit.... and then the second batch as well. If she didn't, the hobby never would have lasted past the first bottling.

I have a wife that dont like wine so, it doesnt matter if it turns out or not!!!

Latest posts

Back