What was the first wine you made?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welches concord grape concentrate tasted like mogan david, or church wine, and has since became pastors punch

My First Wine Made

The first wine I made was Blackberry, we picked several gallons of sweet wild blackberries. Mixed up the juice and all the other stuff, made 5 gallons, it turned out Awesome, entered it in a homemade wine contest and won 1st place. Been winning 1st place and best of show with my wine ever since. It is really fun to make and drink homemade wine.

My first wine was a sack mead which is still aging. It was closely followed by a honeysuckle wine which I would be able to drink sooner. Neither have been bottled yet though.

2011 Napa Cab

Cab Sauv from Napa grapes. It's still in barrel (30 gallon), sitting in my home office. So far it tastes very good and after 7 months in barrel, it's not close to being ready to bottle. Here are a few pics of the ferment, press, and barrel.

010.JPG

026.JPG

004.JPG

Blueberry. First we ate some, then we made pancakes, then we made jam, gave some to my sister and then asked....what the heck are we going to do with all these blueberries and they kept on coming......checked the web....found a recipe and a friendly wine supply merchant in Dunkirk, NY.
It was perfect.............have never been able to make it that good again...but keep on searching. In the meantime, Catawba, Gerwurz, Traminette, Concord, Strawberry, Strawberry Rhubarb, Raspberry Niagara.....but none match that first Blueberry.

In 2010 with a bumper crop of chokecherries I started my wine making ventures. Since I was also defrosting my freezer I decided to use all the old rhurbarb and raspberries up as wine too. So I jumped in all at once - started 10 gallons of chokecherry, 5 gallons of rhubarb, and 5 gallons of raspberry. Then tried peach, crab apple, pear, and plum and on to kits. What have I narrowed down to? Still chokecherry and rhubarb, since that's what I've got for free and like (and hoping eventually to have elderberries and currants). But regularly do CC kits, and then Amazon's Tuscany Rosso Magnifico and Skeeter Pee as our cheap everyday boxed wines.

First wine

Traminatte 2009 not bad won a silver in new york state fair and also in erie county fair for it

We got our first "home grown grapes" off of our plants,bought a beginners how to book and got very lucky with some concord/catawba mix wine which was and still is very tasty.We didn't have enough of either grapes to make a batch of each so we just crushed them together and the rest is wine history... ;-)

was about 13. mother left her wine making kit's books out. did not turn out too bad. being so young i thought the bubbles were suposed to be there. firmented it under a cool waterfall back in the woods. :D

It was the early 70's, made a Welches Grape Wine in a 5 gal. gas can [new] After a few days screwed on the cap with a hole drilled in it, aquarium tubing siliconed in, the other end in a glass jar with water in it. No local wine stores back then, heck NO money back then! Roy

1st kit wine was a RJ Spagnols Blackberry Merlot. Turned out very good IMO. My first non-kit wine was a Cherry wine from our orchard.. I'm a bit biased but I think it's fabulous.

My first wine was an apple juice wine wine. It's not ready yet so the jury is still out!

welcome Taryn! My second wine was an apple juice wine, and it turned out pretty well I must say! I hope yours goes well!

Mine was RJ Spagnols "Heritage Estates - Sauvignon Blanc" It wasn't that great, but we drank it no problem. I figured my first time I wanted to do a cheap kit incase I messed up with sterilization etc.

My first 3 batches are RJS Strawberry Zinfendil and Riesling/Chardonnay mix and a batch of Dragon Blood Skeeter. Can't tell you how they turned out yet because they won't be bottled till this week and next. I am hoping for the best though.

Blackberry Wine, still a staple at Hance Wines as well as being among the most eagerly sought after! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back