what vines to purchase

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCELADUS

Junior
Reaction score
Is it a good thing to purchase 3 year old vines that are ready to produce the following year? I was told that it is best to buy 1 year old grape vines, so they have time to "settle".
I was told that it is not a good think to buy 2 year olds either because those are just the vines that did not do well when they were 1 year olds. Is there any truth to it?

When vines get dug out of the ground the damage to the roots sets them back enough that you might as well call them 1 year old vines when you get them. So buying an older vine doesn't get you any earlier production from them.

I was gifted a vine that I had removed for a vineyard so they could replant to a different variety. That was 2 years ago. Today it is only just as big as the 1 year old vines I started 2 years ago from a nursery.

I've purchased 2 yr. old & 3 yr. old vines. My experience is the 3 yr. old vines grew much faster ie. they got to the 5 ft. wire & went 5 ft. in each direction the first yr. in the ground [this year]. My 2 yr. vines [last year] just got to the 5 ft. wire, but never spread out until the next year.. The were both Merlot, planted in no. Ga. @ 1520 ft. elev. Only time will tell about grape production! Looks like I save a years growing time by using the 3 yr.old vines. Roy FightingTown Creek Wines.
Flexible people don't get bent out of shape!

I bought two year old vines, this was their second season in my yard and they did not get to the size where I would let them fruit this year. I'm in upstate NY and was growing Cayuga white grapes. Good luck

Latest posts

Back