what type of wine would be easiest from scratch ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely Darlene. But read the labels. You want 100% juice, not juice "cocktail". Make sure it doesn't list sorbate, sulfite, or any other preservatives, or you may have a fight going on trying to get it to start fermenting, if it will go at all. Pasturized is okay, and the addition of abscorbic acid is okay too.

I've been looking at these canned concentrates:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-ingredients.html?cat=166

This is obviously from Midwest but most likely anywhere you can buy kits offers these.

I've been meaning to start a thread and ask if anyone else has used these. Seems like you can geta good variety. One 96oz can makes either a full bodied 3 gals of wine, or a light bodied 5 gals. The price isn't all that much more than the frozen juices.

Last edited:
Actually, sulfites aren't necessarily a problem. Sorbate of course can be a show-stopper though. If the ingredients list shows sulfites, just refrain from adding any at the start, and make sure to start with a good yeast culture.

Youre right Greg I should have clarified that to "not necessarily", because in fact, some of the bases and concentrates I mentioned above, do indeed, contain sulfites.

ok thanks again , the oceanspray frozen cranberry said it might contain sulfrites . So all those juices that have water listed in the ingredients wouldn't work .I'm a little confused on that because the Welshes grape juice contained water & sugar but maybe it's different then what you were talking about .

I don't think water is a problem. I think the desire for 100% juice stems from concerns folks have with the artificial stuff that makes it into "cocktail" products. You could make wine from anything, even your socks, provided they don't have sorbate or related preservatives. Sulfites and acsorbic acid are of almost no concern.

The Dole company makes some good concentrates also. Walmart usually sells some very cheap concentrates. Just make sure none contain sorbate or benzoate. I dont even use sulfite on these concentrate batches, just get them down to temp and pitch.

Juicy Juice has no sulfite or sorbate so they make great wine bases...I used their cherry juice with some chopped up dried Walmart cherries...so easy!

I have actually read that the frozen fruits (like a medley) produce more sugar and a tastier wine than raw fruit. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I have found canned fruit, including the canning juice, do better than whole sometimes! I used canned mangos and pineapples to make a wine that everyone keeps asking for...so cheap, man!

Hey, I'm liking the idea of socks!!!!! LOL

If you go with cranberry use a starter to pitch the yeast, cranberry is notorious for difficult fermentation due to natural benzoate. It WILL go but will take some coaxing.

As far as "anything" a while back someone was in here talking about making wine from Kool-Aid and Gatorade. WTF?

Let us know Darlene what you decide to go with.

Alaska wild berries.

A little off but, have you tried any of the wild berries that grow in Alaska?

Spent 3 weeks in the boonies 15 minutes out from Ft. Greely by helicopter and then drove back to Anchorage. (Army)

On the way back we stopped at a small park and helped an Indian lady pick berries.
Don't remember what they were but the tasted pretty good.

Only trouble is Boyd is that it takes ALOT, ALOT to make wine with, and if you aren't "on them" it is a real pain to collect enough. If the mosquitoes don't get you then you have the bears to deal with.

I have enough raspberries in the freezer that are just waiting to be made into a flavored liquor.

(ps they are going to build a railway from Fairbanks to Ft Greely, won't get rid of the choppers, but sounds like you know the Army, at least you drove, I thought they made you guys walk home! LOL)

Ft Greely.

Army wanted to fly us up (Company we were attached to was screwing up) but I said the hell that with we will drive. I was E-7 at the time.

Lots more scenic on the ground.

You is right about the skeeters and bears tho.

The fools we were with thought it was a good Idea to feed the bears so mama and 2 cubs came for supper when the helicoper came in the evening. Not good.

Last edited:
Back