What type of air lock bubbler do you like?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I've noticed that the two piece seems to work with a slower fermention than the S curved ones.
Which do you perfer the most.
I have made some of my own with small tubing and water bottles, but the two piece is a lot easier.

I use both, I enjoy seeing the action of the two piece....I have not noticed any difference in the end result though.

I only go ONE way :slp .. LOL the one piece S trap.

I use the 2 piece for fermentation and the s type for bulk ageing since it seems to not need as much topping up; the 2 piece is easier to clean.

In the early days I bought both not knowing anything. After learning I prefer the "S" over the bubble. It's irrelevant as far as which works better. IMO

I do sometimes stare at the tiny air bubble and cheer it on to escape. You can tell I have a lot of time on my hands!

I have both types, and mostly use the S type.

The 2 piece type is however much better in handling
large volumes of gas, due to its construction.
So with a real vigorous fermentation I use the 2-piece type.

That is also the reason why the manufacturer of all my primaries
with a lid has standard equipped them with the 2-piece type.
So when using my primaries as a carboy the airlocks are well suited to do the job.

Luc

I have some of both, but I prefer the S shape because it's easier to see something not so vigorous happening, just by the liquid inside being pushed up. However, the plastic S shaped locks seem to be more fragile than the 2 piece. I have already broken two of them, they just seem to be prone to cracks after a while. But they're not too expensive, so I can live with it.

There isn't really a difference but I like the 2 piece. It is very easy to clean and when they're given to you for free, why the heck not?

Free is always good. When my one step daughter bought her home the previous owner gave me 5 gallons of wine in a carboy and a whole bunch of other stuff. So cool, and the wine was great, whatever it was.

I use both types of airlocks. I like a two-piece for primaries because they handle a lot and are easy to clean. I like a one-piece on secondaries because they're more expressive.

airlocks.JPG

I use both types of airlocks. I like a two-piece for primaries because they handle a lot and are easy to clean. I like a one-piece on secondaries because they're more expressive.

Well that all depends on how long you are going to age, if you are aging your wine for a long time then the one piece is the only one that can handle that. :>

Has anyone notice the difference in the one piece S airlocks that come with a red cap vs the one piece with a clear cap. I have always used the ones with a red cap with no problem. I bought a few more a month ago with clear caps and they go in a lot harder (stems must be a bit wider) and the caps snap on harder. Next time I go to the local shop I will be buying more of the red cap ones. I got the clear caps from a different supplier and they'll be going to the back of the drawer for emergencies only.

I bought a couple of the plastic one peice bubblers and a couple of 3 piece airlocks too. My favorite one's are the free one's Al sent me :)
They all do the job!

Has anyone notice the difference in the one piece S airlocks that come with a red cap vs the one piece with a clear cap. I have always used the ones with a red cap with no problem. I bought a few more a month ago with clear caps and they go in a lot harder (stems must be a bit wider) and the caps snap on harder. Next time I go to the local shop I will be buying more of the red cap ones. I got the clear caps from a different supplier and they'll be going to the back of the drawer for emergencies only.

You don't want to switch the caps either, their either too loose or too tight. I have many of both plus a few of the multi piece ones.

Latest posts

Back