What to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertb

Junior
Reaction score
I have read through many posts with somewhat similar dilemmas. But, I would like some advice.
I am working on a Wine Expert International Series Australian Shiraz. Here is my situation:
Starting SG – 1.090
After 6 days, it was at 1.000, so I racked it into a carboy. There didn’t seem to be much going on, but I am new at this and let it sit for ten days as the instructions stated. According to the instructions, it should have been 0.996 or less at the end of the 10 days. It was and is stable at 0.998.
Should I be concerned or stabilize the wine and move along?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Robert

if it sat at .998 for a few days, then it's done. stabalize and rack. i wouldn't be concerned about it. there are many times wine won't go far under 1.0 and stop. some will stop at a wee bit higher. the main thing is that its close enough and its not still working. after a few days of the same sg, stabilize and rack. let it sit to clear. after you get a little sediment ~1/2 or so, rack. repeat the last step till clear. the last racking may only have a light sludge at the bottom. i usually let them sit in the carboy, till i'm getting close to needing it again. bulk aging is better than bottle aging.

As already stated, you have nothing to worry about. If it were at 1.010 or something than that would be a stuck fermentation and would have to be either restarted or you would have a sweet wine. But .998 is done. You could give it another day or two and see if it drops more, but if it's the same for 2 or 3 days than it's done.

Hydrometers are not always the most accurate, plus there is a temperature factor that changes what the hydrometer reads.

As already mentioned, if the SG is not changing, move on to the next step.

You will be fine.

Thanks

I would like to thank each of you for the responses, I feel much better about my project.

Robert

What they said, that is a decent sg to have dropped down to so all is good.

Latest posts

Back