What to do with extra wine from primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewP

Junior
Reaction score
OK so I transferred 1 gallon of blackberry into a glass carboy and fitted the airlock. I still had nearly half a gallon left in the primary so I transferred it into a second glass carboy with an airlock. Is there something else I should have done with the extra half gallon? I am concerned about the head space in the half full carboy. The full carboy is still bubbling at the airlock. The other is not bubbling anymore and the wine is beginning to clear already. Is there a better way to store excess wine from the primary for topping up etc?

Put the extra in a 1.5ltr wine bottle w/airlock.. no head space this way.

Pick up a couple 1/2 gallon jugs. They come in handy. Also pic up a 4 ltr bottle of wine, drink wine and save bottle. They are also a handy size to have around. They are the large ones Riuniti come in.

i have been going from 2 gallon (not full) primary to 4 ltr secondary (hopefully with 750ml overage) to 1 gallon at first racking, trying to not use the 750ml, that way i have it for the next racking. Some wine just drop more sediment than others.

Also there is the option to have a glass from the leftover 750ml during the second racking if some of it is needed, can't leave it in the bottle with all that headspace. LOL.

make sure that if you are going to need it that you use the 750ml first is it will have more sediment to must ratio by volume.

Last edited:
Pick up a couple 1/2 gallon jugs. They come in handy. Also pic up a 4 ltr bottle of wine, drink wine and save bottle. They are also a handy size to have around. They are the large ones Riuniti come in.
Those 4 liters are great. You get 5 bottles at bottling time plus a glass to sample!! They also make 1.5L jugs, same brand and very useful. They take a 6 or 6 1/2 stopper.:f1:f1

I think it was Wade that said a good wine maker will have a good selection of equipment. The more options you have the better.

it's a piece of beadwork i did. about 6000 beads, square stitch (one bead at a time). It is Geronimo by Andy Warhol. :h

Pretty cool work Bham. Every time I see the picture it reminds me of chief in "One Flew over The cuckoo's nest". Great movie and he was my hero, such a gentle guy and fooled everyone.

Latest posts

Back