What to do when you try to kill your wine off to early ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejr

wine addict
Reaction score
I was having trouble getting my grape wine to finish working it was stuck at 1010 around there every other time it would do the same thing so I would just use sorbate and it seemed to always work before,but this time it wouldn't clear so after 2 weeks I stuck it out in the cold cellar for a week sure this would take care of the trouble didn't work still didn't clear. I have it back inside now on a heating pad it started to work again very slowly.Any suggestions. Cellar was extra cold when i tried this it was doing the week where the outside temps. were below 10 degrees.I'm thinking time will cure this and then I can redo a dose of sorbate and backsweeten.

In my experience,trying to stop a fermentation mid stream is like trying to stop a train. Fermentation will stop when the food supply runs out, the yeast are filtered out or the environment becomes inhospitable.

Sorbate will prevent the existing yeast from multiplying, but it does not kill the existing yeast. It is not a good method for stopping fermentation. The best way is to complete fermentation, sorbate, backsweeten.

In your case, you need to figure out why your environment is inhospitable for your yeast to complete their job. Temperature, nutrient, alcohol or a combination of the three or something else. Restarting a stuck ferment can be tricky, so if this one is going, I would try to bring the temperature up to 70 degrees and hopefully it will complete.

wait util wine is complete based on sg measurements then it it with Super Kleer kc this is a two part fining agent that should work as long as ambient is 70degF

Latest posts

Back