What to do next....2nd year vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinb

Reaction score
My poor vines have had a tough year. Due to a house fire, I have not been giving them a lot of attention. The deer mowed most of them down early this spring. I now have grow tubes installed and most of the vines have 2 trunks developing. About 1/3 of the 50 vines have reached the top wire on a TWC. I am tying the cordons to the wire and am beginning to train them.

Besides continually to tie vines and spray for beetles, should I be doing anything else? Since the vines are in tubes, I'm not sure what is happening in the lower 4ft of the vines. Should I be pruning leaves off of this lower area? I have been taking off shoots that are growing besides the ones I'm training.

Apply a light fertilizer to make sure they have enough stored carbohydrates other wise cone winter they we'll most likely be very depleted and bud break will be extremely weak the week after. Deer and a huge pest and then the beetle's destroy whatever is left.

Besides continually to tie vines and spray for beetles, should I be doing anything else? Since the vines are in tubes, I'm not sure what is happening in the lower 4ft of the vines. Should I be pruning leaves off of this lower area? I have been taking off shoots that are growing besides the ones I'm training.

Control weeds. That is an important factor the first couple years. Irrigate if necessary. Note that we will soon reach a point where it is time to get those grow tubes so your canes can harden off. Do a bit of research on when the right time for that is in your area.

H

Back