What to do if one wants a more crisp wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I would normally think one could adjust the taste by adding some tartaric acid, but what can you if the wine's dropping crystals?

The readily available acids are citric and Malic, of those citric flavor would blend with grape better. Both of these acids will stay soluble in wine.

Have never tried it but the books say gypsum will dissolve producing sulfuric acid which is stronger than tartaric and act to lower pH, , , keeping tartaric crystals in solution, , creating crispness. The down side is high levels of sulfuric change the flavor.

I would normally think one could adjust the taste by adding some tartaric acid, but what can you if the wine's dropping crystals?

Not sure if this is for a red or white wine.

Just make the acid adjustments with tartaric to your preferred taste. You could put the wine through cold stabilization then too. It will drop crystals and lower the acid a little bit will at least be stable onwards.

Small acid tweaks can be made with an acid blend or with citric or malic, but a larger addition will potentially change the flavor profile noticeably.

I would avoid any other acid. Do not add gypsum since it will not acidify the wine and only add calcium which will slowly form calcium tartrate crystals.

Latest posts

Back