What to call mixed berry wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww I love Rosie 🥰 cool label!

I am still working on mine- here it is as it stands at the moment. I am trying to design something that works well as a base design so it looks like an identifiable brand. I have the same as this but in strawberry pink and mint green for the Strawberry Wine and will do one later in deep purple for when I do the blackberry, but using the same shapes fonts etc.

1625264486025.png

I know they are kind of boring looking compared to some of the amazing labels I have seen here, but it's just prototypes and I think suitable for my first ever wines :)

Not that I am anywhere near bottling 😂

You can also base your name on what's happening with the wine. For instance, I was doing a Dragon's Blood with strawberry, blueberry and blackberry but it was the happiest ferment I'd seen when I stirred it- just dancing, sparkling! I called it Dancing Dragon and Dancing Queen.
I've got another Dragon's Blood going with cherry, ollalieberry and strawberry- that one is called COSplay ;)

@Cherry Puffling, you may decide you like the mixed berry enough to make it multiple times. If so, make a list of the names you like and use different ones for each subsequent batch.

Last year I made the Winexpert Island Mist Exotic Fruits kit for my niece and her friend. It's far too sweet to my taste to be a dinner wine -- but it's a delicious punch-type drink. [My preference is bone-dry reds, but I'll drink whatever anyone is pouring.]

I've thought of taking a black raspberry or cherry concentrate and adding fresh pineapple, papaya, and mango. I've also considered buying 36 lbs / 16 kg of mixed fruit and adding the pineapple, papaya, and mango. Either way, I may snag the names suggested ...

@winemaker81 I was going through this thread and your 'thought' last year caught my eye. This weekend, I plan on starting a 6 gal. WineExpert Exotic Fruit batch as it has been on my shelf for a while. I did a tasting of this at my LHBS and I thought it was a little 'flat' (I'd like a little more fruit taste) and like you, I'm thinking of making some slight modifications, and was wondering if you ever made a second batch with your changes?

Today I'm thinking of adding 2 lbs of mixed frozen fruit (thawed) to the fermenter and maybe a frozen (thawed) can or two of Apple/Raspberry concentrate to the must....adding slowly and taking SG readings. I don't want to take the ABV too high (shooting between 9-10%) which any higher I think will unbalance it too much. Maybe shoot for a SG of 1.070. I'm also thinking of taking an idea from the 'Tweeking cheap kits" of adding some grapefruit rind for some additional citrus bite. That said, I may tone it down and not tweak it too much. Decisions....decisions.

Today I'm thinking of adding 2 lbs of mixed frozen fruit (thawed) to the fermenter and maybe a frozen (thawed) can or two of Apple/Raspberry concentrate to the must....adding slowly and taking SG readings. I don't want to take the ABV too high (shooting between 9-10%) which any higher I think will unbalance it too much. Maybe shoot for a SG of 1.070. I'm also thinking of taking an idea from the 'Tweeking cheap kits" of adding some grapefruit rind for some additional citrus bite. That said, I may tone it down and not tweak it too much. Decisions....decisions.
I chaptalized my niece's wine to 11.1%, and it's great for what it is. Possibly a bit dangerous, as it tastes more like a fruit punch than wine, so it's easier to over indulge. I wouldn't go below 10% ABV, as it reduces shelf life -- although if you'll use the batch up within a year, don't worry about it.

Raspberry concentrate will be the easiest to use. Note that it's going to alter the pineapple, papaya, mango flavor -- this is not a bad thing; I'm mentioning it so you can decide if that's what you want.

What fruit would you add? Adding grapefruit zest sounds good.

Funny you should mention this now, as I'm looking to start this project, or some similar, depending on what I can find for additional fruit.

I chaptalized my niece's wine to 11.1%, and it's great for what it is. Possibly a bit dangerous, as it tastes more like a fruit punch than wine, so it's easier to over indulge. I wouldn't go below 10% ABV, as it reduces shelf life -- although if you'll use the batch up within a year, don't worry about it.

Raspberry concentrate will be the easiest to use. Note that it's going to alter the pineapple, papaya, mango flavor -- this is not a bad thing; I'm mentioning it so you can decide if that's what you want.

What fruit would you add? Adding grapefruit zest sounds good.

Thanks for the response, Bryan. I am glad you mentioned taking this to 11% ABV and sticking with raspberry concentrate. Those are good suggestions, both on longevity and experience. That said, I now feel comfortable in chaptalizing upwards of 11%.

For the fruit: Pineapple, strawberries, mango, and peaches. Dole has a blend that sounds like it would do nicely.

And success on your next batch, it is now time for some 'summer wine' creations!

FYI: I created the label before I even started and placed it in the "Post your labels" thread. @Cherry Puffling what was your final name?

1642542123151.png

haha, it's so funny this popped up, I am actually bottling it this week :D I need my demijohns for some cider! It's turned out quite gorgeous and I am super happy with it, which is more than can be said for my blackberry port, which was an epic fail.

In the end I named it (Klingon) Blood Wine lmao... I've had two minor spills with it and both looked freakily like a pool of blood, plus I'm a trekkie, so...

I designed this label for them, and had them printed up just before xmas. The text below Blood Wine is a Klingon toast, lit. translation is "May your blood scream."

Yeah...I'm a nerd XD

Screenshot 2022-01-18 215600.png

Thanks for the response, Bryan. I am glad you mentioned taking this to 11% ABV and sticking with raspberry concentrate. Those are good suggestions, both on longevity and experience. That said, I now feel comfortable in chaptalizing upwards of 11%.
I made an Apple / Riesling that was 11.7%, lasted 7 years when the last bottles were consumed. I'd feel comfortable pushing a fun wine to 13% ABV as the fruit and sugar will balance it, but IMO 11% is a better target. This is not only about balance -- these wines don't taste like a table wine and as I mentioned, it's easy to over indulge.

For the fruit: Pineapple, strawberries, mango, and peaches. Dole has a blend that sounds like it would do nicely.
Hmmmm ... ya got me thinking. I'm looking to purchase a Vintners Best Black Raspberry or Cherry to use as a base. I'm aware that Vintners Harvest is not pure juice; it will contain apple & pear juice, but I'm ok with that for my intended product. My thought was to purchase fresh papaya, pineapple, and mango (available year round in my area), ensure they're ripe -- peel, grind, and freeze. Once I have everything I need (thinking 6-9 lbs of fruit for flavoring), defrost everything and rock.

However, the frozen fruit you're using looks good as well, so I'd look for a good papaya, and process it when it's ripe. So many good choices to choose from ..

Yeah...I'm a nerd XD

Nope, not a nerd...it's nice to see the enthusiasm. That is one heck of a cool label. Nice job! Looks dark, ominous, and dangerous...I hope it tastes the same. You'll have to find a vintage for a "Botany Bay" :)

Over Christmas I bottled up 2 gallons of Apple Cyser (Mead), and it turned out fairly good. I did end up back sweetening it a bit with simple syrup and it added some complexity to it. This was my first attempt with Apple Cider and Honey. I really believe in 6 months it will be GREAT! Success to you on your batches.

Hmmmm ... ya got me thinking. I'm looking to purchase a Vintners Best Black Raspberry or Cherry to use as a base. I'm aware that Vintners Harvest is not pure juice; it will contain apple & pear juice, but I'm ok with that for my intended product. My thought was to purchase fresh papaya, pineapple, and mango (available year round in my area), ensure they're ripe -- peel, grind, and freeze. Once I have everything I need (thinking 6-9 lbs of fruit for flavoring), defrost everything and rock.

That Apple Reisling sounds good...nice to know it kept for 7 years. Hard not to drink that through the years.

Now you have me thinking. I'm in Northern Ohio, so fresh papaya is hard to come by, but the 'fresh' pineapple and mango I can come by. I may switch from frozen to fresh. The ease of frozen and the mix of the fruit is one thing, but the freshness of newly skinned fruit is another. I just have to find some Papaya! Great suggestions...Thanks!

Regarding the discussion of the Island Mist Exotic Fruits kit, I made a batch last year and bottled in October. I boosted the ABV a little but otherwise made it per kit directions. I was disappointed in the fruit flavor; I guess I expected something different. I would highly recommend adding fruit to pep it up. My fave IM kit is still the Grapefruit Passion Rose. It's more citrusy than grapefruity.

Latest posts

Back