What to call mixed berry wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a mixed berry wine today that is blackberries, black currants, raspberries and strawberries...do I just call it mixed berry wine? Summer fruits wine? Is there a common name for it?

You get to call it whatever you want! I broke a bottle (empty, luckily) the other day when I was about to rack my strawberry dragon blood wine and so I am debating if the name will be Shattered Strawberry or Strawberry Shatter or something like that. A brewer friend of mine had a beer he called "Broken Carboy" because, you guessed it - he broke a carboy during the process.

Many wines have invented names that give no indication about what is in the bottle, I encourage you to be creative or reference the initial concept, ,,, example “thanksgiving wine” was about 50% butternut squash 40% cranberry and 10% orange concentrate. It is going to contest in the novelty wine class.
In the food industry I have found that it is easier to invent a fanciful product name rather than trying to copy what someone remembers from visiting mom who was from Italy. A front label usually describes the dominant flavor. Finally US foods are labeled on the back side with an ingredient statement that lists ingredients from largest to smallest. Many beverages have the largest as filtered water then high fructose corn syrup or white grape which they ignore and then name the product based on a dominant flavor which might actually be 0.5% of “with other natural flavors”. ,,, It is not unusual to add a four liter bottle of flavor extract to 10,000 liters of white grape (bland) and name the product based on the gallon of concentrate added.
I started a mixed berry wine today that is blackberries, black currants, raspberries and strawberries...do I just call it mixed berry wine? Summer fruits wine? Is there a common name for it?

Last edited:
Grapes are classed as berries aren't they? I have no idea. Currants are classed as berries, at least here in the uk...as far as I know. I am not sure, I'll have to read up on it.

I thought about Summer Fruit because it's a popular term here for berry mixes, the problem is while it does list the berries I've used, it can and often does include berries I don't. And while it doesn't *have* to include all the berries, my autistic brain wants to reject it as factually incorrect because I don't want to mislead people...even though my husband and I are literally the only people likely to drink it 😅😅😅 . But neither can I list each berry on the label, so.... Four Berry and the Quadberry suggestion sit slightly better with my brain, but they don't...I dunno...sound as pretty haha. I know I am totally overthinking it and will probably just call it summer fruit or something, I guess I was just hoping there was a quaint industry term for a berry blend like, you know, Skeeter Pee 😂🤣😂🤣

Excuse my tired brain ramblings, it's been a longgggg day.

I used to follow a band called Thunder Canyon. They broke up a number of years ago, but they are doing a reunion show this weekend and I'm super excited to see them! All my wines from this spring have Thunder in the name . . . Thunder Crush, Thunder Trouble, Lemon Thunder, and Strawberry Thunder (although that's the one that might end up as Strawberry Shatter or Shattered Strawberry - I'll decide when I bottle it, I guess). Their logo and one of my labels:

Thunder Canyon logo.jpg
ThunderCrushLabel.jpg

Depending on how you do your labels, you could also include a subtitle. For one of my meads I am thinking of this:

Viking Elixir
An Ancient Herb Mead

The name is interesting and provocative, and the subtitle gives a little more information about what it actually is. I called it an "Elixir" because I used medicinal herbs that have been in use since ancient times. I would have called it a Metheglin, but many people have no idea what that means, so I used the more generic "Mead" instead. This will only be shared with family and friends, so it really does not matter that much what I call it.

I haven't had any time to make labels yet, but eventually I will. My current painters tape labels are marked with things like "PR 2" for Pear #2. So right now they don't even have real names.

@Cherry Puffling, you may decide you like the mixed berry enough to make it multiple times. If so, make a list of the names you like and use different ones for each subsequent batch.

Last year I made the Winexpert Island Mist Exotic Fruits kit for my niece and her friend. It's far too sweet to my taste to be a dinner wine -- but it's a delicious punch-type drink. [My preference is bone-dry reds, but I'll drink whatever anyone is pouring.]

I've thought of taking a black raspberry or cherry concentrate and adding fresh pineapple, papaya, and mango. I've also considered buying 36 lbs / 16 kg of mixed fruit and adding the pineapple, papaya, and mango. Either way, I may snag the names suggested ...

Latest posts

Back