What to blend with Merlot (WE)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Hi All, I have a small 1 gal box of Wine Expert Merlot and was wondering what should I or could I blend it with.
Could I blend it with a big box of Cab?
How would it work with Dragon Blood recipe?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome, Barry.

Can you explain what you mean by a 1 gal. box of WE Merlot? Was this from a 23 Liter kit, and someone (you?) put 1 gal into a pouch?

Why do you want to blend it? How does it taste by itself?

I haven't processed it yet. It's still in the bag. I got a sweet deal on it but I didn't want to make a 1 gal batch, just thought I'd experiment with it by mixing it with something right in the beginning.

Why not make it and see if you like it? Those kits are quick drinkers, too.

You can blend a Merlot with so many other red varietals, it's almost impossible to go wrong - Cab, Cab franc, zin, PS, PV, Sangiovese...

Ah, I see. I almost forgot that they make 1 gallon kits.

I agree with Jim above on blending partners. Personally, I wouldn't blend it into Dragon's Blood, as that is a different kind of animal than a normal dry red wine. OTOH, if you have made Dragon's Blood and like it, I am sure your Merlot would enhance it.

Don't waste it on DB, make it straight up, get a cheap wine kit say sanginovese make it , add the small to the larger in the end its a great blend something worth your time and effort.

Not a bad idea.
Never thought of making sanginovese/merlot.
Thanks for the suggestion!

IllI be posting one on line shortly using a MM grape pack. Sanginovese/ Merlot blend.

Not a bad idea.
Never thought of making sanginovese/merlot.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Many Super Tuscans are Sanginovese with Merlot/Cabernet/ or Syrah blends. (or just blends of the three latter must)

the MM grape fpac worked out just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20180306_124230387.jpg
    IMG_20180306_124230387.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180306_124234669.jpg
    IMG_20180306_124234669.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 18
I've just been reading a few of your post on fpak. when do you add it to the mix? Primary or secondary?

All depends on what you want to accomplish,I also wrote a thread about partnership between the base wine and the blending partner. In the primary the blender becomes part of the mix,in the secondary the blender becomes a background flavor.understand.

Latest posts

Back