What to Blend with Blueberry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
Anybody tried blending other fruit or grape wines with blueberry?

Last evening on impulse I added a few ounces of home-made muscadine to about a half-glass of blueberry (remnant of a bottle of commercial wine) and was pleasantly surprised with the combination.

I know both Wade and I made a Blueberry Pinot Noir.

Yep, blended it with a bucket of Pinot Noir that wasnt great by itself but was pretty nice blended with the Blueberry.

Yep, blended it with a bucket of Pinot Noir that wasnt great by itself but was pretty nice blended with the Blueberry.

I must admit that Pinot Noir would not have been the first thing that came to mind as a blend partner for blueberry. In addition to the muscadine that I experimented with, I was thinking more along the line of blackberry or another fruit. I've got a ~5-gal batch of blueberry now settled into secondary, so sometime in the future I'll plan on experimenting with blends.

I haven't done it but I heard Elderberry & Blueberry make a nice wine

I must admit that Pinot Noir would not have been the first thing that came to mind as a blend partner for blueberry. In addition to the muscadine that I experimented with, I was thinking more along the line of blackberry or another fruit. I've got a ~5-gal batch of blueberry now settled into secondary, so sometime in the future I'll plan on experimenting with blends.
Ya know, thats why we are here "for Ideas"

Blackberry/blueberry is excellent, one of my favorites.

I've used blackberry as a topping wine for blueberry, so I guess that a minor blending. What ratio would you suggest as a starting point?

I topped off and backsweetened my blackberry with blueberry and first impression was that of the mixed drink sex on the beach, the version made with the raspberry liquer.

Blend with many wines. Pinot Noir yes would work. Merlot (keep it dry though) Grenache, Cabernets, Syrah need I go on.

The recipe I use calls for 8#'s of blueberries and 1 gal. of blackberry juice from the steam juicer, 2 1/2 gals. water sweetened to a S.G. of ~1.083. Makes about a 4gal. batch.

I did a bit of shopping in a little neighborhood market in Baton Rouge today and noticed a wine marketed by a small local winery that is a blend of muscadine and blueberry. I couldn't resist buying a bottle and trying it this evening -- and was pleased to find that it really was pretty good. The winery in question apparently produces only blueberry and muscadine wines (and obviously, a blend of both). I think once my blueberry is done I'll have to try that blend as well (!)

Go for it! I have beau coux muscadines so I'd be interested in the results.

Haven't tried fruit wines but my aunt love to experiment. She tried Blackberry-Raspberry and mulberry-blackberry wine.

Blending Blueberry

I keep some dry bananna wine around for blending and topping off with the dark fruit wines. Recently, I messed up a blueberry batch so it was too sweet. Blending with 25% dry bananna worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Back