Other what sizes of kits do you want to make?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size(s) of kits do you want to make?

• 1 US gallon / 4 liters

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 3 US gallons / 12 liters

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • 5 US gallons / 19 liters

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 6 US gallons / 23 liters

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • other (state in post)

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This poll is the flip side to my recent poll what size kits do you make?, as it's about wants, not haves. To the best of my knowledge, other than specialty kits (dessert wines), kits are 1 US gallon (4 liters) or 6 US gallons (23 liters).

For me, the idea of having 3 US gallon kits in a variety of grapes typically used for blending would be handy. I'd make kits just to have wine on hand for blending into other batches, and -- of course -- a bottle to snag should I feel the desire. Having 5 or 6 gallons of these varieties would limit the varietals I might have.

For others, available space, size of container, and need to limit the number of bottles are issues.

Note that this applies to fruit wines as well.

I'm wondering if making table wines in 3 gallon batch sizes is economically viable? By that, I mean that there has to be enough of a market to sell out the run.

I chose "other" because I'd actually like to see some larger kits in 8, 12, and 16 gallon.
I checked with FedEx, the max size for their regular shipping rates is 50 lbs, and anything over 150 lbs is considered "freight", so larger kits will incur higher shipping charges.

I’d like to see more 3 gallon kits. I don’t really need 25 30 bottles of every varietal I make. I wouldn’t mind 15 bottles of a number of varietals. Sometimes I will split a 6 gallon into 2 three gallons and use one for a blend or try different yeasts.

I have one Mivino (3 gallon)bulk aging now. A Syrah. Smells fine and tastes pretty good as well.

Latest posts

Back