What size corks to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead

Junior
Reaction score
Thinking about using a corker instead of the T caps I been getting from eckraus to bottle my wine( have not had a problem with wine going bad)Figured I may want to do this since some of these wines will be aging more than a year. Seen 2 different sizes a 38mm and 45mm. Wish would be best to use?

I use the #9 corks for my bottling.
I think most do as its standard size. However, there are other sizes, smaller that can be used. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge will chime in and give a better explanation on cork sizing and their uses.
Beano Joe

The longer cork should offer better protection.
All that said I don’t know anyone who considers length of a natural cork important for two years or even five. ,,, And, I avoid the shelf life issue by using synthetic and a vacuum corking tool.

IMO the diameter of the cork is more important than the length. Like @beano, I use #9 corks. I have used #8 corks and had some leakage, so I stopped using them.

Length? Some folks swear by the 45 mm (1.75") corks, but in my experience there's no practical difference with the 38 mm (1.5") corks. Unless you're aging the wines 10 years, IMO it makes no difference.

Like @Rice_Guy, I switched to Nomacorcs a few years back, as my storage conditions allow for mold to grow on the outside of the cork. The synthetics eliminate this problem, and I have no problems seating them with a floor corker.

Unless you're looking at long aging, I'd go with #9 x 38 mm, as they are typically cheaper.

I use an Italian hand corker. And don't have any problems. It does tear the cork at the top edge though if the cork is dry. Dip it in water with k-meta and it slides right into the bottle. No fuss, no muss. I don't bottle enough wine to use a floor corker. The 4 liter jug is my friend.

I use an Italian hand corker. And don't have any problems. It does tear the cork at the top edge though if the cork is dry. Dip it in water with k-meta and it slides right into the bottle. No fuss, no muss. I don't bottle enough wine to use a floor corker. The 4 liter jug is my friend.
Would you share which corker you use?

I picked up a slightly used portugese floor corker for 50 dollars, I think its 60 new and absolutely love it after using a hand corker.

Latest posts

Back