What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you do for a living? Remote launches of Tesla's satellites?
What do I do? The short answer is I'm an IT guy who wears any of a dozen or so hats at any time, on the software side.

However, my job does not include assembling computers, or anything to do with hardware. I do that for fun.

These days the actual assembly of a desktop computer is actually easy. Doing the research to figure out what parts to buy? NOT so easy. As Varis & I have said, the tech changes so fast that what was current 6 months ago is no longer now. I have a copier paper box of old parts that need to go to recycling, as they are literally useless.

Assuming you had all the parts, I could talk you through the assembly. It's all a matter of plugging the right things into the right slots. I had the book for the motherboard (mainboard, it's what everything is centered around) open and used it to ensure I was doing it right. Although mostly the plugs are different shapes, so you can't plug something into the wrong slot without forcing it.

I had breakfast with a friend Saturday, he's been in IT as long as I have. His response to me building another PC? "I buy PCs, I don't build them." 🤣

I'm a little older than you. My first build used a Z-86 from Zilog. Man, those were the days...many happy sleepless nights...
Yup! That pre-dates me, a bit.

My first PC was a Zenith Z-100. The CPU was clocked at a whopping 4.67 MHz. I spent $25 for a chip that upped the speed. Pull the CPU, plug in the new chip, then plug the CPU on top of the chip. It increased the clock to 7.5 MHz. It doesn't sound like a lot, but that was a 60% increase in speed.

In comparison, my current PC is at 3,700 MHz

I am a bit younger than you guys, so my first pc is not in that generation.
My first PC I purchased for college my sophomore year was a Gateway PC running a (iirc) 233 MHz Pentium cpu.
My senior year in college I built my first pc, but I do not remember the specs, unfortunately.
I am with @winemaker81 on this - it is very easy now to assemble a PC, but getting all the research done to select the proper components can be the challenging bit. Which is something I need to do this year, as my desktop PC is showing its age.

I built a couple PCs back in the day. No idea on the specs. I am with Bryan's buddy on this one - I buy PCs (actually laptops) these days. I realized a few years ago that while I want to KNOW how to do a lot of things, that doesn't mean I actually want to DO them. 🤣😂🤣

(This describes my cheese making dabbling, as well, although I may pick that back up again someday.)

@Jovimaple, I build desktop units. Laptops? I looked into building some years ago, and discovered that getting everything to fit into the case nicely ain't easy! So when my current laptop dies (it's 7 yo) I'll buy a replacement, not build it. But it also won't be as high-end as my desktop unit.

Last edited:
I used to build PC's frequently, first system I remember building was built in 1990 (maybe before that) , no clue anymore what the specs were. But it might have had a 286 in it. Nowadays, I just buy, I know, takes all the fun out of it, but I'm not willing to spend the time investigating what might work with what.

I remember there used to be a thick magazine that came out every month with hundreds of places to buy PC parts and stuff from. Last time I looked, I think that magazine was maybe 30-40 pages thick and probably now is out of business. The name is lost to history for me now.

I remember there used to be a thick magazine that came out every month with hundreds of places to buy PC parts and stuff from. Last time I looked, I think that magazine was maybe 30-40 pages thick and probably now is out of business. The name is lost to history for me now.
Paper copy is a thing of the past, especially as things change so quickly. I use Tom's Hardware site for a lot of ideas and ratings, and hit other major outlets, like PC Magazine. It does take effort, as searching on "best video card" produces hits on a $2,000 card ... 🤣

Do you mean Byte Magazine? That is the one I read. (Final issue: 1998.)

No, this wasn't Byte Magazine, it was something like PC Marketplace or PC Bargains, something like that. I think it probably stopped printing about 2000 Maybe 2005.
I'd wager a guess it was Computer Shopper. It was the size of a small city phone book each month with some tech articles but mostly advertisements. s-l1600.jpg

My 1/2 acre Pino Noir vineyard was destroyed by Black Rot and due to increased headaches with wine and age, I have stopped making wine and drinking. Sad because I really enjoyed it. One glass was keeping me up at night. I value sleep over a good Domaine Serene 2018 Evanstad Reserve. It was a good run. I wish you all much success but I'm out.

I just never stop learning. Pulled out an old freezer for the over flow of the 1/4 beef. Put it on the deck under the eave during the thaw.

Turns out that was a bad idea. 20 minutes to empty, 'thaw' and refill. Hammer made quick work of it.

No harm done, but I guess I coulda seen that one coming! :rolleyes:

PXL_20230401_195846614.jpg

Latest posts

Back