What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today has been busy. Family went out for brunch, and then took the kiddos got to play at the playground. I then got the first herb and veggie starts for the growing season going in their mini-greenhouse. I need to get some cabernet sauvignon racked and put in bulk aging later this afternoon.

Yesterday my son purchased a ladder -- folded up, it's 4' 6" long, but unfolds and extends up to 17', and can make an A-frame (like a step ladder). We agreed it was a good purchase, as he can use it in the house or outside.

One strip of vinyl siding on his house over the garage door separated. I told him to ensure the slots were lined up, and hit it with his fist to lock the joint back in place. He rapped it several times, but it wasn't clicking together. I offered an additional suggestion, "No, don't tap it, use a pissed off hit," e.g., hit it like he's angry.

He rapped it a couple more times, and the joint was still not clicking in place, so he wound up and nailed the siding hard. It popped back into place. He looked down, smiling, then worked his way along the seam, making sure the siding was all locked together.

Useful channeling of irritation .....

Yesterday my son purchased a ladder -- folded up, it's 4' 6" long, but unfolds and extends up to 17', and can make an A-frame (like a step ladder). We agreed it was a good purchase, as he can use it in the house or outside.

One strip of vinyl siding on his house over the garage door separated. I told him to ensure the slots were lined up, and hit it with his fist to lock the joint back in place. He rapped it several times, but it wasn't clicking together. I offered an additional suggestion, "No, don't tap it, use a pissed off hit," e.g., hit it like he's angry.

He rapped it a couple more times, and the joint was still not clicking in place, so he wound up and nailed the siding hard. It popped back into place. He looked down, smiling, then worked his way along the seam, making sure the siding was all locked together.

Useful channeling of irritation .....
It takes time to learn just the right amount persuasion when not familiar with a material. Sometimes it is just the right combination of force and encouragement. Come on you SOB. Seriously? Get in there, you prick... Ahhh there we go.

We have a lot of specialty tools in the shop. Some jobs you just keep fighting. Alright, this one is going to require the BFH. The thing is though if you don't have proper training and the right touch you can do more harm than good, especially with the BFH.

Big F'n Hammer.

Gotta keep the days entertaining, somehow. 😄

It takes time to learn just the right amount persuasion when not familiar with a material. Sometimes it is just the right combination of force and encouragement. Come on you SOB. Seriously? Get in there, you prick... Ahhh there we go.

We have a lot of specialty tools in the shop. Some jobs you just keep fighting. Alright, this one is going to require the BFH. The thing is though if you don't have proper training and the right touch you can do more harm than good, especially with the BFH.

Big F'n Hammer.

The first time I fixed vinyl siding, it was, "Dammit you mother$&#*$%!!!" I didn't use a hammer as I was, as you said, afraid I'd damage the siding. My fist, backed by irritation, did the trick!

I have a 32 oz roofing hammer for the jobs that are too big for a 16 oz and too small for the 12 lb sledge. ;)

My sons and I talk a lot when working, and we discussed the need to make mistakes. As much as he's helped me since he was 5, he's not moved my fully extended 24' ladder. I stayed out of his way the first few times he moved his 17', then demonstrated how I move an extended ladder, one hand low to lift and one hand high to stabilize. As much as he's seen me do it, it didn't click until yesterday, and it made more sense after he moved his ladder a few times.

Many moons ago I lifted my ladder poorly, it toppled over and took me with it. I was bruised by didn't break anything, especially on me. My son agreed that making mistakes is good for learning, but he's happy to not experience that particular one in person. 🤣

It's an exciting time of life. Having something to work for, and learning how to maintain it.

He is lucky that he grew up with a do it yoursefler Dad, so he isn't going in blind. Some youngsters these days just blow my mind. Has no one taught you anything? 🤣

It's an exciting time of life. Having something to work for, and learning how to maintain it.

He is lucky that he grew up with a do it yoursefler Dad, so he isn't going in blind. Some youngsters these days just blow my mind. Has no one taught you anything? 🤣
My parents were born prior to the Great Depression, and grew up having to scrabble for a living. I was indirectly taught to do things myself if I could, e.g., I learned by example. A lot of what I now know was self taught, but the idea that I could do it myself was from my parents. And honestly, that's the best thing anyone can be taught. I passed the lesson along to my children. :)

The agreement was very little drywall repairs to keep the peace. Well, this is where the 2 sections of the house join. I have half a box of mud on this wall. 20+ lbs. The dark strip on the right is a skim over the paint. The middle of the wallback to the joint had almost a half inch of variation. Beyond what I can look past by a long shot.

I just coated it, hopefully it will dry fast enough to final coat and paint this afternoon.

In-laws are arriving Friday. Cleaners are booked for Thursday. Sometimes a little spent on cleaners is the least costly option. 😁
PXL_20230320_170231409.jpg

Big F'n Hammer.

That's funny, I knew EXACTLY what you meant by BFH. I have an assortment of BF tools. With age and experience I noticed my hesitation for using them is approaching zero.

Today, this week, the last few weeks ... meetings, meetings, meetings. This means no time to get my actual job done, so tonight I am digging in to try to make some progress on all the stuff I can't do while I am in meetings.

As a side note (since I work in IT Security), if you have a Windows PC and/or MS Outlook, make sure you are patched with the patches MS released last Tuesday (3/14/2023)! There's an Outlook exploit that's rated almost the highest criticality that exists and it's much better to be patched than hacked.

Today, this week, the last few weeks ... meetings, meetings, meetings. This means no time to get my actual job done, so tonight I am digging in to try to make some progress on all the stuff I can't do while I am in meetings.

As a side note (since I work in IT Security), if you have a Windows PC and/or MS Outlook, make sure you are patched with the patches MS released last Tuesday (3/14/2023)! There's an Outlook exploit that's rated almost the highest criticality that exists and it's much better to be patched than hacked.
I am glad that in my job (DB work, HW/SW troubleshooting for a robotics OEM) that I don't have to handle the security end of things. Your specialty is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the warning!

I considered crossing into InfoSec, but decided I like working 1st shift on a normal basis. ;)

My employer requires Outlook, and it gets patched relatively frequently. In my personal life I don't use Outlook as it's more hassle than it's worth.

I am often amazed how many of the guys I work with (small MS software developement group 10 or so folks) don't go out ever Tuesday or if they hear about possible exploits and update, always get the latest version. I'm have all my machines set to go check and update anytime there is something and then check often. Seems the prudent thing to do.

Updating Visual Studio as I type this.

It's all fun and games until there's a zero day exploit in the wild and the boss wants to know we're patched!
I deal with my employer's InfoSec and desktop support groups, so I'm clued in on the fun.

For those not in the IT world, InfoSec is Information Security.

Updating Visual Studio as I type this.
I see a new version is out. I'll check the release notes, but will probably mark it "update on close". Yeah, IT is rarely an exciting job.

I explained to my doctor that our jobs are a lot of alike. He looked at me very strangely, so I continued, "The job is usually boring, but when it's exciting it means something has gone badly wrong for someone." He laughed.

I explained to my doctor that our jobs are a lot of alike. He looked at me very strangely, so I continued, "The job is usually boring, but when it's exciting it means something has gone badly wrong for someone." He laughed.
This is so very, very true. And why we insist on backups of backups.

seeds20230325.jpg

Planted my tomato, tomatillo, eggplant and pepper seeds today. I normally get impatient in early March and start them too early, so I'm hoping that the extra few weeks this year will have them come along at the right time to harden off and plant out. A mixture of some old friends and some new (to me) varieties as well. Way too many peppers, but what are you going to do when everything looks so tempting in the seed catalogues/websites... :rolleyes:

View attachment 99736

Planted my tomato, tomatillo, eggplant and pepper seeds today. I normally get impatient in early March and start them too early, so I'm hoping that the extra few weeks this year will have them come along at the right time to harden off and plant out. A mixture of some old friends and some new (to me) varieties as well. Way too many peppers, but what are you going to do when everything looks so tempting in the seed catalogues/websites... :rolleyes:
I see at least two unoccupied cells there 😮 Totally unacceptable! This is how it goes with me… plant too many varieties (for the reasons you state) but put two or three seeds in each cell because having an empty cell would be wrong. Of course they all sprout. Now it just seems wrong to snip off all those healthy seedlings so I divide them… this is how you needed twenty pepper plants but end up with four flats! Repeat for tomatoes!

Latest posts

Back