What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our oldest son just closed escrow on his first home north of Chicago. A 100+ year old 900 sq. ft. house that needs everything done to it. Having grown up in my house he shares my love of DIY. We‘re donating some furniture and tools and yesterday closed the door on a POD full of stuff. I have been accused of being a tool hoarder and it’s been said I have two of every tool ever made. It’s not true. I actually have just the right amount of toolage but I’m generous and giving some up to help him. It is totally necessary to have three power washers and four circular saws, right? It’s not like I have four of the same saw.
If it is any consolation I have 3 circular saws. 3 pressure washer, too. Generators got out of hand when I was living off grid. I have 4. On a rough count I think I have 12 cordless drills. 3 corded.

Some tools have specific purposes. The first saw I bought when I was in my early 20's working for a general contractor was a worm drive. It weighs 10-15 lbs. It's my demo saw, no good for day to day cutting, but you can put an old blade in and it'll chug right through shingles and plywood to reroof a building, or slice right through concrete with a diamond blade.

The trouble isn't the amount of tools, but space!

That's what barns are for. Which I have.
Prior to retiring I was self employed, paid by the job. If a specialty tool saved me time, I bought it. Being deductible helped.
That was always my theory as well. Tools pay for themselves quickly. This job would likely be at least 5 times the cost if I had to pay someone to do it.

My shop is 40x60 and there are 2 seacans that are also stuffed with company inventory. I have very limited space for my tools because the shop is set up for mechanics. It used to be half wood working tools, half mechanics, but I keep getting pushed into a smaller area.

One day it will all be mine again and it will be 3/4 work space for lawnmower repair and woodworking and the rest wine making and wine storage.

That's what barns are for. Which I have.
Prior to retiring I was self employed, paid by the job. If a specialty tool saved me time, I bought it. Being deductible helped.
We put an addition on 20 years ago, including converting half of our crawl space into a cellar. The contractor wanted $20K to finish the cellar (he dug it out, installed retaining wall, poured the floor, and stubbed in drains).

I finished it myself, with the help of friends along the way. I learned framing, insulating, walls, drop ceiling, plumbing, and wiring along the way. My cost was half the quote, and half of that was tools I still have. It's nice to have a large table saw, router + bench, compressor, numerous nail guns and other air tools, etc. .....

Yes, it took 18 months to complete, but it was fun!

Last edited:
Garden planning day. Time to start tomatoes/peppers in my neck of the woods. I normally don't transplant in the garden until May 15th as we normally will have a frost right around that time. Peppers at the end of the month since they need warmer soil conditions or they'll just sit there and not grow much.

3-18-23_garden-planning.jpg

What's in the koozie? LOL

1679155242955.png

Garden planning day. Time to start tomatoes/peppers in my neck of the woods. I normally don't transplant in the garden until May 15th as we normally will have a frost right around that time. Peppers at the end of the month since they need warmer soil conditions or they'll just sit there and not grow much.

View attachment 99453

brewed in your neck of the woods
these microbrewery companies in Canada sure have come a longs ways
good stuff out there!
Ya, it's really hard to find stuff like that around here,too. I need to do a tour and see what I can find and if nothing comes up, get on the owners to bring me in something interesting. Or, start making my own. The current excuse is ending up with 6 gallons of something I'm not super enthusiastic about.

I only tend to have one of these, just enjoying it for the flavor. They make some really good stuff these days, as you say. I am not usually one for flavored anything, but my brother in law brought up a pumpkin ale last thanksgiving, it was shockingly good.

Latest posts

Back