What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I got around to a task I've been avoiding -- cleaning the cellar. Among other things I had 10 cases of wine that needed to be put into racks. Plus a lot of cleaned bottles that needed sorting.

My wine closet is officially full:

room-1.jpg

room-2.jpg

The shelves on the right are boxes that I built and installed between studs when finishing my cellar -- they stick out into the crawlspace that was not converted into cellar. The bottom ones hold 14 Bordeaux bottles each, the second and third ranks holds 11 each. Most have Bordeaux bottles, but a few of the top ones are splits which contain Ports or Limoncello. The rack on the left is a commercial rack I purchased many moons ago, and it holds 11 cases.

I have 13 cases of wine that are not yet labeled, 9 of which are mine. I have another commercial rack and need to find a space for it .....

A few years back I made an English Nut Brown Ale no one cared for. It wasn't bad, it was just meh. I had a case left, which turned very malty, so I cleaned out the bottles this morning. My cellar smells like malt. Thinking about making a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter again. THAT one disappeared quickly.

Last edited:
This morning I got around to a task I've been avoiding -- cleaning the cellar. Among other things I had 10 cases of wine that needed to be put into racks. Plus a lot of cleaned bottles that needed sorting.

My wine closet is officially full:

View attachment 98047

View attachment 98048

The shelves on the right are boxes that I built and installed between studs when finishing my cellar -- they stick out into the crawlspace that was not converted into cellar. The bottom ones hold 14 Bordeaux bottles each, the second and third ranks holds 11 each. Most have Bordeaux bottles, but a few of the top ones are splits which contain Ports or Limoncello. The rack on the left is a commercial rack I purchased many moons ago, and it holds 11 cases.

I have 13 cases of wine that are not yet labeled, 9 of which are mine. I have another commercial rack and need to find a space for it .....

A few years back I made an English Nut Brown Ale no one cared for. It wasn't bad, it was just meh. I had a case left, which turned very malty, so I cleaned out the bottles this morning. My cellar smells like malt. Thinking about making a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter again. THAT one disappeared quickly.
That does sound like an invitation to a Super Bowl wine party. You know, just to help make room for the rest of the wine. That's what friends are for. :)

That does sound like an invitation to a Super Bowl wine party. You know, just to help make room for the rest of the wine. That's what friends are for. :)
I'm not into football, so I'd just open a few cases of bottles. I suspect no one would be the wiser, especially after the first case!

Wow that was easy! If I ever find myself in NC I’ll definitely reach out. Always nice to share info, stories, and wine.
If you show up at my house at 7AM, make sure you have good medical and/or life insurance. My wife will kill both of us! 🤣

We were in North Myrtle Beach SC for the weekend, and the Chinese balloon was shot down about 24 miles south of us. We heard a faint boom, then a second one, and from the condo balcony we could see numerous contrails to the south. The photo shows contrails, which are a LOT farther away than might be expected. Because of the sun location, I wasn't able to get a better photo.

We could see the location of the jets from the contrails, but due to distance (24+miles) the jets themselves were not visible, nor was the balloon.

contrails.jpg

We went to the James Cameron exhibit at the NC Museum of Natural Science in Raleigh, NC. This covered his under water activities, which included practical effects for the movie The Abyss, his Titanic dives, plus other deep sea explorations.

One exhibit included pages from his personal notes. One I really enjoyed was his pilot's log for a deep sea dive:

Pilot's checklist
Check door ajar

His sense of humor resembles mine.

Today we are preparing for snowmaggedon. Lots of places already saying they will be closed tomorrow and Thursday, schools planning for distance learning, other school activities cancelled.

Even though it's MinneSNOWta, we don't normally get 25+ inches of snow in one event. It's cold enough that it's coming down light and fluffy, so when the wind kicks in, it's going to be blizzardy across the southern half of the state for the next couple of days. The crazy thing is last week, it was raining here! (Although March typically is our snowiest month.)

I am very grateful hubby and I can work from home and keep our cars off the roads!

Attachments

• 71026D44-4DCF-4E74-9144-BE182E306982.jpeg
    71026D44-4DCF-4E74-9144-BE182E306982.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Bottled 550 bottles of various whites and rose' wines:

100 bottles Sonoma Coast Chardonnay
100 bottles of Yakima Pinot Grigio
100 bottles of Yakima Sauvignon Blanc
100 bottles of Yakima Soave (Garganega)
50 bottles of Orange Wine (Roussane)
75 bottles of Carménère Rose'
25 bottles of Cabernet Franc Rose'

*Not all wines are pictured

Cabernet Franc Rose'

IMG_1453.jpeg

Carménère Rose'

BF7A8F4F-44E3-4797-AB16-07DB2FCB8BFB.jpegIMG_1463.jpeg

IMG_1460.jpeg

IMG_1462.jpeg

IMG_1461.jpeg

IMG_1459.jpeg

I just barreled a 50/50 blend of Petit Verdot and Petite Sirah, both free run. Label will be cream linen...

View attachment 98505
Sounds like an interesting blend. I have a 6.5 gallon carboy from 2020 I didn't realize I had and didn't quite know what to do with it. I might not do 50/50 since I need some for the PN but definitely going to try some blend.

Mrs WM81 and I started spring cleaning of the garage. We completed about 1/3 of it.

I threw out 3 pairs of sneakers, along with 3 bags of junk. I have a bad habit of saving things I might need, until I finally realize I'll never use it.

Note -- I have my first and second best sneakers. When #1 degrades enough (typically the cushion fails and the inside starts to shred, it becomes #2 and the former #2 goes into the garage as yard sneakers. I did a critical review and realized only 1 of the garage sneakers was actually fit to wear. I had to sedate my wife -- she was soooo surprised I actually threw something out. 🤣

I'm a bit of a sucker for punishment. I don't fear work. I should probably work on that. :rolleyes:

My first summer job at 17 was painting. I worked a short stint for a Danish trained painter in Vancouver. It was very high end work. The trim in my house was not. I decided to paint it. Its been driving me nuts.

Trouble is we wanted to upgrade and painting and filling is 3/4 of the work of changing out the trim. AND it is a lot less cutting if you paint while the trim is off. So now I have 1200 linear feet of trim spread over the shop that I sprayed today and the next few weeks will be pulling off trim, painting walls, installing and painting trim.

One day I will learn!
PXL_20230311_224112186.jpg
PXL_20230312_032553669.jpg

I'm a bit of a sucker for punishment. I don't fear work. I should probably work on that. :rolleyes:

My first summer job at 17 was painting. I worked a short stint for a Danish trained painter in Vancouver. It was very high end work. The trim in my house was not. I decided to paint it. Its been driving me nuts.

Trouble is we wanted to upgrade and painting and filling is 3/4 of the work of changing out the trim. AND it is a lot less cutting if you paint while the trim is off. So now I have 1200 linear feet of trim spread over the shop that I sprayed today and the next few weeks will be pulling off trim, painting walls, installing and painting trim.

One day I will learn!
View attachment 99320
View attachment 99321
I agree that's absolutely the best way. My trim is stained and using a couple rolls of blue tape doesn't appeal to me. Plus, I have an assortment of electric and pneumatic nailers to make the job easier. I always hated cutting in.

As a kid my mom would paint over switch and outlet covers. I remember having to punch through a layer of paint with a plug. Yes, years later I replaced all her plates and switches and outlets.

Our oldest son just closed escrow on his first home north of Chicago. A 100+ year old 900 sq. ft. house that needs everything done to it. Having grown up in my house he shares my love of DIY. We‘re donating some furniture and tools and yesterday closed the door on a POD full of stuff. I have been accused of being a tool hoarder and it’s been said I have two of every tool ever made. It’s not true. I actually have just the right amount of toolage but I’m generous and giving some up to help him. It is totally necessary to have three power washers and four circular saws, right? It’s not like I have four of the same saw.

Latest posts

Back